Ancestral Shrine

After 2 months of  Consort Kim's death...

"At last you have come," Concubine Park smiles brightly towards General Lee. 

"His Imperial Majesty has sent me to escort you back to the palace," General Lee says with an expressionless face.

"Oh! Such a loyal General has come such a long distance just to escort a concubine back!" Concubine Park sighs.

"After returning you will be His Honourable Consort. Maybe it won't ever be possible to meet at such a close distance anymore. That's why I thought it would be better to end by talking about things that we kept unresolved," he keeps following Concubine Park Seung Deok who is walking on a green field covered with daisies. It's the ancestral shrine of Miryang Park Clan of Shilla province.

"Yes, we had a lot of things that will remain incomplete. I apologize for the promises that I couldn't ever protect, Jong In."

"I apologize for my immaturity that caused me to not only break my loyalty to His Imperial Majesty but also will make you feel bad in the future. Don't blame yourself for what happened in the past. If I had controlled myself, it would be easier for you. I am promising you that in the future I won't do anything that can harm your reputation."

"Are you thinking I am regretting because of you?" She suddenly stops walking and turns back to face Jong In. He nods, "In your life, I was the biggest mistake."

"No… Not a bit. I am someone who has always taken advantage of people who trusted me. You, my elder sister, His Imperial Majesty, my own clan, and Concubine Seo. But I never was aware that one day I can be a victim too. The way I use others' trust to manipulate them followed me back. At one moment I have discovered I am the most lonely one. My untrustworthy consequences haunt me like a ghost now," Concubine Park says with sorrow. She wanted to share these badly with others, but there's no one to share her sinful past where she betrayed her elder brother, her ex-lover General Lee, Emperor Sinjong, and Concubine Seo.

What will happen when the Emperor will know that she was one of the main reasons behind Concubine Seo's first miscarriage. It is unnecessary now that Concubine Seo has strengthened her presence in the royal family’s legacy by giving birth to royal twins.

The most frightening fact is  Consort Kim's last letter to Emperor Sinjong about which none of it was disclosed outside. The royal palace announced that her death was while trying to protect royal twins from enemies. The intention of the enemies was never disclosed outside. Maybe it's enough for outsiders of the palace. But for Concubine Park it was never enough. 

She thinks that the Emperor is already giving her the cold shoulder. What if Consort Kim has said anything about her in the last letter? The royal palace always deals with things related to the royal family in strategic ways. Is sending General Lee part of that strategy? 

General Lee has cut off all connections between them. Maybe the person with whom Jong In stayed in Guangdong is the reason why he has become increasingly distant. Does he know anything about the emperor's strategy? General Lee has come to say his last goodbye, hasn't he? He will not remember her anymore as he already has another woman in his life, will he? What's waiting for her in the palace if she returns? 

The constant fear and overthinking has made Concubine Park's life hell. Every single incident of the palace made her suffer from delusions. Is she becoming mad? Is she going to lose everything?

"Seung Deok, stop," Jong In suddenly stops her, holding her hand. She was stepping towards the narrow cliff. Landslides from cliffs are so common on this mountain. The Miryang Park clan's ancestral shrine is located on this mountain.

"After a long time, you have called me by my given name. Stopping or not stopping both will lead me to the same ending, Jong In," Her eyes become watery.

"What has happened? Just tell me. I swear I will make everything okay for you," He can understand that something is wrong with her.

"I want my old self back. I don't want to go back to the palace anymore. I want freedom from everything," She closes her eyes and lets tears overflow his cheeks. 

Jong In doesn't know what to reply...

"You can't… I know," Seung Deok smiles, wiping tears from her cheeks.

"Everything will be okay soon."

"I know already that I have no choice left," Concubine Park releases her hand from General Lee's grip and steps towards the narrow part of the cliff.

"Seung Deok, stop… Listen to me…" 

"I am so sorry… I wish I could go back and change everything," She closes her eyes while pushing herself more towards the narrowest part of the cliff. As she reaches the narrowest part, a crack on the ground causes the cliff to be separated from the mountain and fall to the river below the mountain within a blink of an eye… 

          ____________________________

Concubine Park Seung Deok was declared dead by the royal palace when after searching for several days her dead body couldn't be found in the river. The reason for her death was said to be an accidental landslide from a mountain while Concubine Park was praying for her late ancestors in the Miryang Park clan's ancestral shrine… 

        ____________________________

The lady with doe eyes was taken care of by General Lee in his Guangdong home. This incident never has given rise to any mystery...

Keeping the lady away from the palace became easy for him especially after the death announcement of Concubine Park.

Yes, the lady staying in Guangdong is none other than Concubine Park. But she has lost almost all memories of the past.

Concubine Park Seung Deok wanted freedom from the palace. Even though she can't remember what happened before, General Lee doesn't want her to remember those things again. He will protect his beloved from the depression that once provoked her for a suicidal attempt.

It's not like General Lee can't live or be happy without Seung Deok, it's just that he doesn't even want to try.

            **************************