Bad Omen: Solar Eclipse

Concubine Seo was exhausted after giving birth to the twins. She has given birth to a Dragon Prince and a Dragon Princess.

Emperor Sinjong has been staying with her since then. Concubine Seo is sleeping for a long time because of tiredness. Already two trustworthy women have been appointed to feed the twins and take care of them. The twins are now sleeping in their cribs after drinking enough milk to make their tummy swollen like rubber balloons.

As Concubine Seo groans, Sinjong becomes alert. 

"Yun?"

She hums a bit in response while still sleeping. But after a few moments, she opens her eyes.

"My baby?" She tries to get up to check the baby crib in the room despite the pain in her lower abdomen. But the Emperor hugs her.

"It's babies, Yun, we have our prince and princess."

Breaking the hug he calls in a maid who carefully takes the sleeping babies from their crib one by one and gives them to Concubine Seo. 

Concubine Seo cries while kissing the forehead of the adorable sleeping babies. She can't believe that these adorable babies are those whom she has carried for 8 months.

       ___________________________

The royal astronomers checked the catalogs of stars for the last time. They are measuring the movement of every star and noting them in papers carefully. 

Although this is their daily activity, recently for a few months the stars and galaxies are showing weird movement. At this rate, there's a chance of a few collapses resulting from face to face collision of stars in the way of their galaxy.

Such a collision is not so significant, but the solar eclipse which hasn’t occurred for a year was going to occur this month because of sudden changes in both the direction and movement of the stars.

A solar eclipse is always regarded as a bad omen for the royal family. During this time bad spirits become so prominent. So arranging any royal blessing festivals is strictly prohibited during the month and times near the solar eclipse. 

There's a myth that on the day of the solar eclipse, the legendary Black Dragon, the God of Darkness attacks the sun. When the sun gets engulfed by the Black Dragon, the earth becomes drowned in the darkness of bad spirits. The devotees of the Black Dragon sacrifice the warm blood of innocence in such a cursed time to strengthen the spreading of black power all over the world.

 The devotees of the Black Dragon sacrifice the warm blood of innocence in such a cursed time to strengthen the spreading of black power all over the world

After giving the last check to the catalogs of the stars, the Chief Royal Astronomer writes a short description for the Emperor and Queen Mother. Both the Emperor and Queen Mother are eager to announce the date of the Naming Festival of the newborn prince and princess. During this festival, the mother of the Dragon Prince will be announced as the Empress because of giving birth to the Crown Prince.

The Chief Royal Astronomer sighs looking at the description, it seems like the festival should be delayed because of the ominous solar eclipse.

            **********************

*Solar eclipse: 

A solar eclipse happens when the moon moves in front of the Sun as seen from a location on Earth. During a solar eclipse, it gets dimmer and dimmer outside as more and more of the Sun is covered by the Moon. During a total eclipse, the entire Sun is covered for a few minutes and it becomes very dark outside.

But in ancient times there were a lot of explanations including dragon myths which I have used in this ff

The last solar eclipse people of the world witnessed was on 26th December 2019.