Chapter Nineteen

10th February 2011

It was late at night again. I hadn't gone to school the previous day but instead spent the hours in bed resting and trying to ignore the overwhelming headache. It was getting annoying. I'd taken multiple painkillers but none of them did anything useful. As of this moment, I was lying on my stomach with the duvet pulled up so that it was resting on the back of my head like a veil and I had a book in front of me (The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker).

Flicking the page over, I ignored the slight blur that was inching to take over. It had been a long day and between the injuries and the lying in bed and doing nothing, I was tired.

A harsh tap came at the window and I pulled my eyes away from the book to look at it. There was nothing but darkness, but then another annoying little tap happened again. Frowning, I flipped my book around so that I wouldn't lose the page before I pushed myself out of the bed at the sound of another tap.

Stepping up to the window, it didn't take me long to find the source of the noise. Despite the night, Isaac was stood at the bottom clad in his usual leather jacket and he had his eyes squinted in concentration with a few stones in his hands. He gave a small wave as if to direct my attention to him although it was already on him.

I could feel my lips quirk up in a smile and I unlocked the window and pushed it up leaning my body out of it so that I could speak to him. "What are you doing?!" I asked.

"Step back," he called out quiet enough as to not wake anyone up but loud enough so that I could hear. Furrowing my brows, I did as told and within a few seconds his clumsy frame fell through the window with a soft thud and I snorted out a laugh as he rolled over so that he was facing the ceiling. His feet were still hanging out the window but the rest of him had fallen into the room.

"What are you doing?" I asked through stupid giggles and he groaned as he pulled his feet in and awkwardly rolled over. He lifted his head and looked around the room for a moment and my laughter was stifled suddenly feeling incredibly judged. He was silent for a moment, his eyes lingering over everything. "What?"

"You know Tinkerbell, your bedroom looks a lot like that of Wendy Daring's," he droned out, "you never told me you were posh," he mused as he straightened out completely.

"I am not posh," I countered. "What are you doing here?"

"You weren't in school. Had to make sure those stairs didn't give you brain damage or somet'," he joked and I narrowed my eyes as if to say 'haha very funny'. "I did come to see if you were alright, though."

"I'm fine, I'm great actually," I admitted picking up my book and folding over the corner of the page before pressing it shut and walking past him to set it on my shelves, "my dad said he's coming to visit," I added on with a large smile at the thought of it. He raised his brow his eyes following my every move. It was quite intimidating actually.

It was like one wrong move could end up in disaster and humiliation and yet it wasn't like that at all.

He nodded before he changed the subject, "you know, Derek said you should come back to training. He looked quite offended when you didn't show up this morning."

Scrunching my nose, I turned to look at him confused, "he tried to kill my best friend...and he's offended?"

He shrugged, "can you really call Lydia your best friend? If I remember you hated it at the beginning, her always dragging you around. Being horrible to people. You know I asked her out once. She told me to come back when the bike I rode to school had an engine instead of a chain," he admitted looking down and I glanced at him warily.