Chapter Twenty-Five

24th February 2011

A song was being hummed. A gentle song that was so soft it would carry you with the waves and into the gates of heaven itself. "You're awake?" A voice asked, and I forced my eyes open only to be greeted by a blue sky. It was so beautiful. Besides me, there was a collection of various flowers all different colours and giving different scents.

Pushing myself up, I looked over to the silhouette beside me. I couldn't tell you who they were or what they look like but they seemed so calm in the meadow we were in. "You're going to have to fight now."

"What?"

"Only light can come from darkness but the two can never understand each other nor ever be together..." they trailed off singing the song as they did and slowly their hand reached out grabbing onto my wrist and their touch burnt my skin, "when it's over. When the battle has been won...meet me in the meadow. You'll do that for me, won't you darling? You'll meet me in the meadow?"

Throwing my hand out, I focused all my energy into my palm and there were a few sparks but nothing. It wasn't a weapon or a power that would be useful. Not yet. I was going to learn it though; it made things make a little more sense. Perhaps the dream I'd been having for so long wasn't so complicated at all. My mother was of darkness and I of light, surely there had to be some complications there.

"Your mother was a shadow conjurer or manipulator. All you need to know was that her power was darkness. It's excessively rare. Usually, fae's powers are one of the four key elements. Fire, Earth, Air, or Water, and so for her to be darkness was incredibly rare and important. A lot of hunters were after her."

"So I have to be one of those four things."

"You're most likely one of those four things, there are six options though. Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Darkness, and Light."

Yet we were back where we started with me not being able to control or use my powers. At least I had one of them down, but if I was going to continue fighting in these silly battles and go against the supernatural then I should probably learn the attack and offensive one. I have no interest in dying without even being able to use the powers that I was given.

Clenching my fingers together, I curled them in before straightening them out and once more a few sparks were lit. I could feel my hand getting warmer and warmer with each try but that didn't mean it was working.

"Only light can come from darkness."

Those words felt so self-explanatory now.

My mother was darkness and I was, power-wise, the light. I wonder if she'd gone through all of this when trying to control and use her own powers. Surely it hadn't been easy for her.

It had been a few days since we'd seen each other. We were taking a few days to recover both physically and emotionally. More so emotionally than physically for myself. Jackson's blood remained a permanent resident in my mind, his death a permanent sight and feeling that I doubt I'd ever forget. I needed to speak to Lydia though; apologies for lying, see if she's gotten over her own nightmares, test to see how she's doing.

Although right now did not feel like a good re-start for the pack.

We were stood in front of the Hale house which had a pack symbol engraved into the door. It was a triskele but it was made with straight lines at forty-degree angles. It looked like the ancient triskele though. We commonly see it with spirals but this one looked like the one made out of legs. It was seen in Ancient Greece and even Homer had commented it in his Illiad.