Chapter Twenty-Four

21st February 2011

We were stood in Derek's house, the one that had burnt down so long ago. We were currently stood in front of the stairs that I'd sat on when Derek was telling me all about my mother. Everything felt so different now, I used the power I actually knew how to use on a regular basis and out of pure convenience.

"Oh. Oh, they found Stiles!" Scott exclaimed, as he walked over to us all and I glanced over at him in acknowledgement. It was good that Stiles had been found.

"I told you, I looked everywhere," Derek said as peter lifted up one of the boards and pulled out a briefcase.

"You didn't look here," he said with a smirk as he looked up to his nephew, and I will say I was enjoying the superiority Peter was currently holding over Derek. Made up for all the painful training.

Derek rolled his eyes, "what is that, a book?"

Peter's face contorted into that of judgement as he scoffed at the younger Hale, "no, it's a laptop. What century are you living in?" Derek looked away exasperated whilst I had to force the smile of amusement on my lips to disappear. It was incredibly amusing though, "a few days after I got out of the coma, I transferred everything that we had. Fortunately, the Argents aren't the only ones who keep records."

Peter moved to the main room alongside Derek and Scott's phone rang out. I glanced over to Isaac to see he was looking over at Scott before we followed after Derek and Peter.

Both Isaac and Lena glanced back at Scott before they followed after him leaving Scott to his own privacy.

"Hey, mom. I can't talk right now- What's wrong?"

A lot was wrong apparently.

Looking around at the hospital corridors, I kept myself close to Isaac. There was something about being next to a six-foot werewolf that was oddly comforting (granted if we did come into any danger I would be able to just disappear and teleport somewhere else that could be considered 'safe').

We were following Melissa and Scott to get to the morgue where Jackson was currently being held, although I will admit I never thought I'd find myself actively going to look at a dead body. That bad feeling was beginning to come back again and I wasn't particularly enjoying it. It was like when you needed to be sick, and you knew you needed to be sick, but you couldn't actually be sick. So you were left with that unsettling feeling all day just trying to work out whether you were actually ill or not. I hated that feeling.

Melissa used her key card to open a door and we followed in behind her, making sure to shut it behind us. There was a body bag on the table waiting for a post-mortem. I found myself not wanting to get any closer but due to everyone else stepping forward I did it myself.

"So what is it?" Scott asked, and Melissa took in a breath not responding yet and instead she looked over to Jackson before unzipping the bag. All three of us stepped closer and we were easily able to overcome the disgust and unease upon seeing the dead body since it was coated in a crystal gel-like prison that was slowly forming over him.

"What's happening to him?" Scott asked, his brows furrowed as he tried to understand everything. The reality was none of us understood anything - especially in terms of what was happening right now.

"I thought you were gonna tell me!" Melissa countered dragging her eyes away from the body so that she could look at her son, "is it bad?"

"It doesn't look good..." Isaac said.