Chapter Thirty-Nine

October 24th 2011

Bolting up from the bed, I looked around trying to find any evidence of the nightmare I'd just had. I was out of the dream but even so what was the dream and why couldn't I remember it? Was it a nightmare or a good dream, was it something that could hint at the trials that were to come? There were so many different options for what it could be and yet still I could not remember it.

Hearing a groan, I pulled my eyes away from the dark room to see another body in the bed beside me. It was Isaac, naturally, he'd stayed over last night (which I know you're not supposed to do since it's a school night but at this point I really don't care) and we did get some sleep...after a while.

"What is it?" He asked, lifting his own head and looking around for any danger. I couldn't find any myself.

Looking around for a second, I lay back down on the bed pulling the duvet up to get more comfortable, "I don't know," I admitted and he hummed.

"Just a dream?"

Thinking over it for a second I nodded, "yeah, just a dream."

Except, when was anything ever just a dream?

I am pleased to announce that for perhaps the first time since I first got to this school I was actually adhering to the dress code. I was wearing an off-white knitted crew neck sweater that had red and pink strawberries embroidered over it, a pair of blue mom jeans, and a pair of dark green (I would say about sacramento or maybe a bit darker than that) slip on trainers...could you call them trainers? They had no laces or anything they were purely just slip on shoes. I'd also used a thin black plastic headband to keep my hair out of my face.

I was currently using a silver and gold sparkly gel pen to write the title that was on the chalk board in my notebook. I was sat in history although I didn't recognise the man before me.

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Mr. Yukimura. I'll be taking over for your previous history teacher," glancing up at him briefly I tried to figure out what had happened to the last history teacher. Oh wait, he died. He was sacrificed. "My family and I moved here three weeks ago. I'm sure, by now, you all know my daughter, Kira?" We all looked to the girl who was sat with wide eyes and she offered a shy wave to everyone, "...Or, you might not, since she's never actually mentioned anyone from school... Or brought a friend home, for that matter..." she know looked mortified. I understood why as well. "Either way, there she is! Now, let's begin with American history at the turn of the 20th century..." Kira then allowed her head to flop down onto the table no longer being able to sit there after the embarrassment.

I understood. I would be ready to throw myself off a bridge if that happened to me.

Regardless, I had a glittery title to write out so I turned back to my work.

"You know I think we should try and get cutest couple in the yearbook this year," I said to Isaac. I was walking beside him in the hall although I was eating a small cupcake. Nan had made loads yesterday so I stole a couple to keep me going through school. He raised his brow as he swiped some of the icing. Frowning I looked up at him annoyed, that was the best bit.

"We got cutest couple last year," he reminded.

"Only because Allison and Scott broke up and Jackson decided to flock to the other side of the world... we need to make sure we secure the bag for this year-"

"We've got months left, we'll be fine," he assured, and humming I glanced around to see if I could spot any more couples. "Why do we need this?"

"Because it's probably going to be the only thing I win in life...so... I'm making the most of it."