Chapter Thirty

22nd June 2011

"You know, Lycaonn, had sacrificed a boy to Zeus and Zeus was outraged by the horrific savage offering and so Zeus unleashed a deluge, so that the rivers ran torrents and the sea flooded the coastal plain, engulfed the foothills with spray, and washed everything clean," he explained, and my own five-year-old self had looked up at him with so much wonder. He was reading a story from a book that had so many great pictures and he was telling me all about everything.

"Why would he kill more people, though?" I'd asked, my voice sweet with youth and naivety.

"Well, like Noah, Deucalion, with the aid of his father Prometheus, was saved from this deluge by building a chest and he survived it with his wife, Pyrrha. Later on, after the whole deluge was over and the couple had given thanks to Zeus they consulted the oracle of Themis about how to repopulate the earth. He was told to "cover your head and throw the bones of your mother behind your shoulder". Deucalion and Pyrrha understood that "mother" is Gaia, the mother of all living things, and the "bones" to be rocks. They threw the rocks behind their shoulders and the stones formed people. Pyrrha's became women; Deucalion's became men."

"Did Deucalion have any children? Or were they all his children?"

"They weren't all his children, some say he had a son named Helen."

"That's a boring name," he chuckled at the words.

"It is, isn't it."

I felt so stupid. Of course, my dad would be the great evil villain. He'd said it all along and yet I was too stupid to see it. The moment we'd gotten out of the mall (after watching Derek fall heartbreaking lengths and now he was probably dead), I'd clawed the necklace from my neck. The thought of it being around me made my skin burn and itch and I hated it.

I hated that I couldn't save Derek, I hated that I was related to that monster, and I hated that he could be a monster in the first place.

"Am I getting too close?" Allison asked, snapping me out of my own mournful thoughts. We were following after the werewolves who were going on a trip to a cross-country meet. I don't know why we were following them, but we were and I didn't want to be alone or in Beacon Hills town where the great evil knew where I lived. "I'm getting too close, aren't I?" She added on.

"That depends... Are you just following the bus, or are you planning on mounting it at some point?" Lydia asked.

"I'm sure you're fine," I countered, Stiles probably already knew that we were following the bus regardless. I know Isaac did.

"Yeah, I should back off..." Allison nodded.

"Well, that also depends. Oh, do you mean the bus or the ex-boyfriend you're currently stalking?" Lydia asked amused.

"Well, after what happened, I'm not letting him out of my sight," Lydia hummed although she knew that Allison and Scott were likely to end up back together at some point. It was the only thing that made sense to her, I agreed. I think they'd be better if they simply got back together and put everyone out of their misery, "And, by the way, this all started when he came knocking at my door."

"For what?"

Allison didn't say. Instead, Lydia and I were both left guessing and waiting for the answer that we would never get.

"So, is that whole "not letting them out of your sight"-thing literal, or more like a general rule...?" Lydia asked, and I glanced over at her confused to see that her eyes were on the set of monitors were above the wheel.