Never Not

(Long chapter ahead!) The song used for this chapter is 'Never Not' by Lauv: https://youtu.be/VT_hLby9uSY

———————————————

Friday. 6:00 PM.

"So there's this...guy who asked me for a favor to excuse you from singing today."

"By any chance, is it the guy who's dressed up in an unnecessarily, weird but fancy purple suit?" Raine sighed in embarrassment, not being able to imagine how Darius' approach went earlier to the owner of the restaurant that they're working in. If anything, he might've said something that would ban them from performing any more gigs.

Sure, they had a workshop but that wasn't enough to sustain their lifestyle. Gigs were just as important as teaching, and Raine knew that they can't lose either of them.

"You...could say that." Warden, the owner of the Boiling Dine who's the tall and buff man from behind the counter scratched his neck to the side while remembering the most unusual interaction he had ever experienced in his life that had just happened a few hours ago. As much as Raine felt ashamed, they did appreciate the fact that Darius kept his word to take care of that problem. At least that's one of the few good things he's done for them.

"I just wanted to let you know that Steve will be your replacement for tonight. But he'll be a bit late so you'll have to sing a few songs before he arrives. Is that okay with you?"

"A-Absolutely. Thank you for considering, sir."

"Not a problem. That Darius guy really wanted you to be in this so who was I to say no?"

He definitely threatened him, Raine smiled through the pain of unending embarrassment.

"I'm once again going to apologize for my friend's strange approach. I'll make sure it won't happen again."

"Ahaha! You're too kind. It's alright. Just sing us some good songs to make the customers feel relaxed and enjoy the evening with the rest of your peers. You're going to need it." a heavy pat on the back was felt, making Raine grunt from the weight which almost made their glasses fall off but thankfully, their fingers caught it on time. They put it back on and pushed it evenly to the bridge of their nose.

"I only came here to talk about this to you but since everything's now settled, I better go back and check whatever everyone's doing. Do your thing, Whispers."

Raine nodded, following his request, and went to the spot around the side where the small stage is. The mic stand and the lyric sheet stand were already prepared for them and two of their other gig partners were already setting up their instruments to prepare for the evening.

"Hey, Whisps!" Morton, their gig mate called out, offering them a high-five which Raine accepted. They chuckled at the ridiculous nickname and rolled their eyes. "Don't call me that."

"Ahaha, sorry! Say, what's up? I thought Warden said you aren't able to perform because of some kind of reunion thing that you have going on." he asked while both of his hands were busy tuning the acoustic guitar. Raine pulled out their phone from their pocket to check the time while responding to the question.

"Steve's not going to be able to make it here on time so I have to sing some songs until he arrives. It's no big deal, really." they blinked twice as they unlocked their phone screen, taking in the fact that they only have half an hour to mentally prepare themselves for the upcoming surprises that will be happening this evening. Raine felt the worry and anxiety rising as each second passed. Not only because they're going to sing in front of their old peers back from high school but also because of the possibility of their ex showing up. If Eda catches or even watches them sing, it would surely end their lifespan in a second.