One Leaves, One Stays

Eleven months have passed.

"There are a lot of opportunities for you here. You could earn more, Whispers. Look at how far I've come with my company!", Darius' large, deep voice yelled in their ear, making Raine wince their face from the loud frequency. Both of their hands were busy making themself a simple snack. Raine was talking to the phone with an old frenemy of theirs back in high school, pinning the device in between their ear and shoulder.

Making them look like some kind of zombie with a broken neck while making a sandwich.

"I know but...I'm content with what I have right now. I have all the things I need right here, Darius!", they yelled back, finally smearing some delicious cheese in between by using the butter knife, "Although New York seems like...a good place to spend the honeymoon though."

"EXACTLY.", a long frustrating groan escaped from trying to convince the musician to prove that Darius' points are right and are always right no matter what anyone says.

" Listen here. Whispers, did you forget about the times you talked about your dream where you'll someday have a music workshop of your own and teach people to play those music accompaniments or whatnot?. This is your damn chance, what are you waiting for?!"

Raine lets out a snort, getting another piece of bread from the plastic to top it off.

"Germaphobe. As much as it sounds really amazing. I just moved in with Eda for almost a year now. And I can't just work somewhere that takes like what? Four hours by train? Besides, I may have not achieved that little dream of mine but at least my biggest dream is now right here.", with hands now free, they took the opportunity to relax their neck back to its proper posture and then let their one hand hold the phone this time.

"Who says that you're the only one who can work here?", Darius retorts, snapping his fingers from the other side to wake up his friend's logical thinking.

"Huh?"

"Ugh! Bring her with you! Get an apartment, live together in New York! You two can get jobs here!"

Raine paused from the suggestion, holding the snack in between their fingers and thumb. They were about to take a bite but something about the businessman's idea really...stunned them almost immediately. Sure, the house that they and Eda are in is already heart-warming and nice but...living together in another state where countless possibilities would take them anywhere and explore was... really noteworthy.

Raine told themself mentally that they'll entertain themself with that idea soon.

"That sounds...", they expressed dreamily, slowly taking a bite from the bread.

"It sounds like a good idea, see? Freaking coward. I told you so."

"Hey! Who are you calling a coward?", they scoffed, asking such an obvious question while chewing.

"The person who's asking me for proposal advice. That's you."

Raine smiled, biting the inside of their cheek while taking a bite of their sandwich in their hand. Darius was someone they wouldn't approach regarding this very important matter but then again, he was a much better choice in comparison to the Blights, at least.

Odalia Blight to be specific.

"Well...got me there.", they admitted bashfully, settling themself on the couch with legs crossed. Raine's toes tried to reach for the small remote by the table, using their strength and non-existent flexibility to grab it. Unfortunately, their laziness wouldn't even bother to let them have the ability to stand up and use their hands so Raine just lets out a sigh of defeat.