Part 22

"T-twins?" Steven stuttered, his palms feeling clammy.

The couple stared wide eyed at the doctor, feeling like the air had been sucked out of the room.

"Yes, twins," Dr. Lee responded and removed the wand from Y/n's slightly swollen stomach. "Do twins run in your family?"

"Well, I'm, uh, I'm a twin," Y/n stammered and buttoned her pants back up. "I have a twin brother. And—and my mom is a twin herself."

"Wow, that's something we hardly ever see!" Dr. Lee replied. "The twin gene is very strong in your family." She chuckled at that and washed her hands once more.

Y/n and Steven looked at each other, completely in shock as the doctor washed up and wished them well as she left the office. The couple wordlessly left the office after setting up the next appointment.

The ride back home was in nothing short of stunned silence. They weren't sure if they should feel scared or excited. Or both. Hyde wasn't sure what to feel if he was being honest. Everything had happened so fast and now all of a sudden he was having twins. He could feel his head starting to spin and Y/n was sure she was going to faint herself. But neither of them found themselves blacking out. Just silently staring at the road ahead of them, lost in deep thought.

When they pulled up to the side of the house, they looked at each other, staring into each other's eye in disbelief. No words were exchanged; nothing could explain how they felt in that moment. After a minute of sitting in the car, they decided to exit it and slowly make their way into the house. How was everyone going to react? It couldn't be worse than when they found out they were pregnant.

As they entered the house, they felt like they were in a haze—a trance. Kitty was baking brownies as Red was reading the newspaper when she noticed the couple's odd state.

"Hey, how was the doctor's appointment you two?" she asked, concerned. "Did you hear the heartbeat? Oh, God, is everything okay?"

The couple looked up to Kitty with an almost glazed look. Y/n took a deep breath, but found it stuck in her throat and her voice hoarse.

"Twins," she croaked.

"What?" Kitty asked, not hearing what she said.

"Twins," Y/n said a little louder. "We're having twins."

"What?!" Red and Kitty shouted.

"You're having twins?!" Kitty asked shocked and excited.

"Son of bitch!" Red exclaimed. "Now there's going to be two of them?!"

"Red, shut it," Kitty spit. "How could you be having twins?"

"I don't know," Steven said. "I didn't think my...guys were that powerful."

"It has nothing to do with you, Steven," Kitty answered. "It's actually all about Y/n's eggs and her DNA."

"Okay, look. I'm okay with you being married to my daughter, I don't need to hear anything beyond that," Red said and set down the paper. "Or about her...things," he said, directed to Kitty.

"Well, I mean it makes sense," Kitty said. "Twins do run on my side of the family."

"So, what now? You two are going to be living here with two babies?" Red questioned, standing up with them.

"N-no," Y/n replied. "I mean for now until we have our own place—"

"Crap!" Red said and stormed out.

If Y/n hadn't been ridden with shock, she would've been hurt. She slowly sat down at the table and held her head in her hand. Steven sat at the table, staring into nothing.