Part 32

"What are you doing here?" Y/n asked incuriously.

"I'm here to pick up some stuff," he responded and leaned against the doorframe, staring her up and down. "Whoa, who did this to you?"

"Who the hell are you?" Hyde asked, coming up behind Y/n.

"Connor," he replied coyly and flicked his dirty blonde hair out of his eyes. "Who are you?"

"I'm her husband," he said defensively.

"Oh, yeah I heard about you," Connor said, wagging a finger at him. "You're the one that got busted for carrying. Like, two years ago, right?"

"Yeah, now answer my question."

Connor smirked and eyed Y/n up and down. "I was her camp counselor a couple years back."

Hyde looked to his wife whose eyes never left Connor's. "Is he the one you...?"

"Yep," Y/n responded shortly.

"And it looks like I dodged a bullet," Connor snickered.

Y/n sharply inhaled, a throbbing headache already coming on. "What do you want, Connor?"

"I'm here for my dad," he responded. "Wanted me to pick up something from Red."

"What? What could he have that you need to pick up?"

"Hey, Connor!" Red greeted as he came from the den. "Glad you're here! Wanna follow me into the garage?"

"How do you know each other?" Y/n asked.

"I ran into his dad while at the hardware store the other day," Red replied. "He told me that he was in need of a chainsaw and I told him 'No need, you can borrow mine.'"

The couple raised their eyebrows at him.

"You're willingly letting someone borrow one of your tools?" Y/n asked incredulously. "Okay, who are you and what have you done with my dad?"

Red chuckled. "I know his dad. We've known each other for years. We served together in Korea."

"Oh..." she trailed off, her stomach dropping. "Of course, he did."

"How bout that?" Hyde chuckled, jealousy starting to boil in his veins.

"How do you two know each other?" Red asked, turning the question back on them.

"I was her camp counselor," Connor repeated. "We had a good time and got to know each other pretty well." He drawled on those last two words, not breaking eye contact with her.

Y/n glared at him, her fingers starting to itch from wanting to wrap them around his throat.

Red furrowed his brows at him. "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing," Y/n answered through clenched teeth. "We got to know each other just like everyone else."

Red couldn't help but squint his eyes at the three young adults: Y/n standing rigid, clenching her jaw while Steven stood stiff as well with his fists balled up, knuckles white. Then there was Connor whose smirk never left his face, eyes scanning his daughter like a piece of meat. Any likeness he had towards the kid was quickly going down the drain.

"Alright, Connor, follow me to the garage," Red said, less enthusiastic as before.

"Yes, Mr. Forman," Connor said dutifully and brushed past Y/n without breaking eye contact—or his smirk.

Once those two disappeared behind the kitchen, Y/n spun to Hyde whose eyes were locked on the kitchen door. If she didn't know any better, he would be able to burn holes into it.