Part 25

"What are you doing here?" Steven asked roughly.

"Well, I wouldn't miss my own son's wedding," she said sweetly. "I thought I screwed you up so bad that this would never happen."

"Yeah? Just like the way you've been there for everything else?" he responded bitterly.

"Oh, that was so long ago. Get over it. Why dwell in the past?"

"The past? That was barely two years ago when you split on me."

"See? In the past!" she exclaimed, playing this off so nonchalantly as if it was a normal conversation.

"You never reached out to me," he responded darkly. "You didn't even try. And now you show up at my wedding expecting me to welcome you with open arms?"

"Oh, come on Steven, I'm your mother—"

"How did you even hear about this?" he interrupted gravely, eyes hard as stone and voice cold as a winters night.

"Just like everybody else. I got an invitation in the mail."

"I didn't send—" he started, but quickly stopped when he realized who did and turned to Y/n. "Why would you do this? I told you I didn't want her here!"

Her eyes widened at the accusation and took a step back. "I didn't do it!"

"Clearly, you did. Why would you invite her?!"

"Steven, I didn't do it," she said sternly, quickly growing irritated.

"If you didn't do it, then who did?"

"I did," Kitty spoke up from behind them. "I sent her an invitation."

The look of betrayal on Steven's didn't deter Kitty from continuing to speak. "I thought she deserved to come and see her only son get married."

"Well, he has a brother, but with how our relationship is, you might as well be my only son, Steven," Edna said.

He turned back to his mother. "There's a reason for that." He turned back to his foster mother who stood there with her hands clasped in front of her. "Mrs. Forman, there's a reason why I didn't want her here."

"I know, but—"

"No, you don't know," Steven cut in, voice laced with hurt and frustration. "She was never there for me and if on some miracle she was, she was inebriated. I didn't want her here because I knew she would find a way to ruin this wedding."

"I know, honey, but don't you think it's possible that she may have changed?" Kitty asked sympathetically.

"No," he replied shortly.

"Steven—"

"Why would she change?" he asked, eyeing Edna and talking over Kitty. "She didn't attempt it then, why should she now?"