22

Warning: Mention of suicidal attempt and death.

***
We sat in the humble living room of Divine's safe house. Being the only family member of a dangerous mafia boss came with consequences; you become a liability, a weak point, and danger seemed to follow you. Some people who have married a man like Dee's father have admitted that their love quickly turned to hatred.

I think that is how Dee's mother died. She has never spoken about her mom, and we've never asked. But I often hear whispers about the graceful lady in the paintings and pictures around the mansion. Her lips pulled into a soft smile, and her eyes glowed with so much warmth that I felt it.

So, it makes sense that Dee had a safe cottage house tucked away in a small, unknown town.

Being the daughter of a man like my boss could be the reason she is the way she is; physically strong, and mentally flexible. No doubt, she has experienced the worst in life.

I stare in horror as the blonde-haired girl cleans off her black nail polish, replacing it with a sky blue one.

"Why do you change your nail colour so much?"

She looks at me as if I asked a forbidden question, "They sort of represent my emotional state. The black was because I felt numb, and now the sky blue is a reminder that my feelings are valid. It's therapeutic."

She smiles at me expectedly and I nod, despite not understanding. "How about the dark blue?"

"First of all, it's navy blue. And it represents me whenever I'm an emotional wreck."

I shake my head and snicker, but I see something flash in her eyes; a bit of insecurity. Panicking, I smile, "I think it's cool that you express yourself differently, Dee." She grins before going back to her nails.

"Have you guys ever wondered why we can't use our native names? I prefer being called Dae-Hyun." Peter suddenly says from the couch he is lazily laying on, his eyes still fixed on the repeat of Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.

Kittie yawns beside me and Doggie barks at her, he's laying with Michael on the carpeted floor.

Dee shrugs, not taking her eyes off her nails, "It's convenient for them. Imagine being from this town and having to pronounce foreign names, the anxiety that comes with it is horrible."

I scoff, "I'm white and I can say your names perfectly. They just don't want to try."

"Yeah, but you forgetting that you are white with a bit of spice," her smirk shows that she's proud of herself.

Raising an eyebrow I ask, "Oh, yeah, and what are you?"

Before she can answer, Peter, chuckles, "She's white with a dash of cheese."

Dee and I exchange a look before I smile. "I fucking hate you two," she says but Jung and I laugh.

Peter's grey eyes meet mine and I feel tingles, "Also, you can't say my name properly." Okay, tingles are gone.

"Fuck you, why are you tell me this now?"

He shrugs before pausing the ending movie, "Say my name, Mason." The way he said that sentence sends my head spinning,

"Daehyung."

"Nope."

"What?!"

He sighs as if I'm difficult to deal with, "It's Dae-Hyun. The 'G' you keep pronouncing is silent."

My eye twitches, "And you tell me this now?" He gives me a sly smile and my hands itch to choke him, "Fine. Daehyun...?"

He lightly chuckles before getting off the couch to crawl towards me, I sat on the floor with my back against a red couch. When he's an inch away from my face, he gently presses his hands against my cheeks. Pushing my lips out,