8

I've known Farren for almost four years, this year will be making it the fourth one. The first day she walked through the doors of Haven High, I really thought she was just another Jackson woman who didn't have anything to do with her life and decided to torture teenagers as a way to fill in a void.

I instantly hated her, I refused to even acknowledge that she was new to the town. But imagine my shock when the second week came rolling and she was smiling at everyone, she was teaching History like it was her passion, and she was nice to all of us. At some point, I started to believe that being a teacher to a bunch of horny, confused demons was her dream job.

It remained like that and I found myself wanting to go to school every day just to be motivated by her work and attitude. Peter had ended our friendship then and the Madison thing was just beginning, and she made me feel less troubled. She made it more bearable, even though she didn't really know I breathed.

The first time we talked-- I wish it was on better circumstances where the great Mason did not ball his eyes out-- she showed me so much generosity I didn't know I had been missing.  That day, Farren found me in the boy's toilet floor sobbing about something I'm grateful for forgetting, she spoke to me as if I was her child and even went as far as to pat my messy hair down.

I've never seen a stranger so worried about another stranger. So fucking surreal in this part of the world. After that faithful, equally embarrassing day Farren and I have been inseparable.

So it is understandable when I say that I knew her address and drove all the way from school just to see what was her reason for being absent at school today. Today of all days.

Knocking on the door I sway from side to side and observe their house. A two-story house with a  white fence, the typical family house with the nice front yard and spacious backyard. A home built for a family. But Farren didn't want kids, ironic considering how she treats everyone.

As for George, a thirty-something aged man who owned the best furnishing company I've seen even with its small size, he was nice enough to me and handsome too.

The door opens to reveal the said man and he looks at me from head to toe, "She is expecting you." He never did like me, did he? Following him into the house I noticed that nothing has changed from the last time I was here (New Year's eve). Still plain and spacious.

"Mason!" The excited yelling of my name guides me to their living room to see Farren covered with a blanket and laying on the couch, she's pale. "I knew you would come, George owes me twenty bucks."

I look behind me and frown at him, "You put a bet on me? I'm insulted, Georgie, you were supposed to be the mature one." He clicks his tongue at me and mutters something about fetching biscuits for Farren. I chuckle under my breath.

"So, what's wrong with you? Should we be worried?" I joke before shifting her legs so I can sit down, she replaces them on my lap. I could sit somewhere else but after today I think I can sit wherever the fuck I want.

"What is this? Should I be worried?" She crooks her head at me.

"What?"

"Mason Longwood comes into my house with a smile and eyes a lighter colour than usual. Are you finally dying?" I don't understand what she is rambling about until I notice my lips are twitching. "Or dare I say, is Mason "bad boy" Longwood, happy?" She smiles at me suspiciously and I recoil away from her close face.

"That's madness! I was just thinking about, uhm, I was remembering something. " I look away from her.

"Something...like?" Now she is just teasing me.