Chapter 9

I don't own any of the characters in the story as Masashi Kishimoto owns it all.

"This is Konoha's savior?" Kukuzu said, dumfounded. He looked to Ekudo for an explanation, and half-man snarled.

"How am I supposed to know? He did the research," Ekudo said, jabbing in my direction. "Move out of the way so I can string this up."

"Un, is that the nine-tails?" A younger male questioned was ignored as Kiwen growled under his breath. I watched.

Hanging by one's hands, particularly with a wrenched wrist, was bound to be uncomfortable. Perhaps the Konoha-nin would be lucky not to feel his hands within a few hours.

Perhaps he would be lucky to hold a pencil afterwards, given that Kiwen was yanking the cords with unusual vengeance.

"Don't kill him," I warned dully. It would be tedious to find another sensei worthy of the Kyuubi's time.

"Why not?" Kiden barked. He appraised the sensei thoroughly, stone-hewn tabernacles and bloody manacles doubtlessly flashing in his mind.

"He's more valuable alive," I said.

"He looks like one of Sasori's pests, un." Unconvinced, the youngest wrinkled his nose.

"Master gave the orders." Shoving Kukuzu aside before he could attempt an in-depth examination of 'The Monster Tamer's' heart, Ekudo shooed the others away. "We wait for the Kyuubi. Kiwen, if the nine-tailed brat doesn't show in a week, you can have the prisoner."

Finishing his evaluation of a potential sacrifice, Kiwen sighed. "Perhaps it will appease Kachin until a more worthy offering is found."

Kiwen rolled his eyes towards me and hissed, "If this is another one of those 'fuzzy misdirections', you will wear the spectacles on our next mission!"

"Hn." What a pity. I must have stepped on them while Kiwen was distracting the Konoha-nin away from Iruka.

"You think this is going to work?"

Light hacking, and a grimace of pain. Iruka's glare burrowed into me, even from the opposite end of the cave. The shoddy vest and clumsy face devalued a fire-willed shinobi. Master underestimated his enemy.

Clearing his throat, Iruka spoke again. "You think the Kyuubi will come after me. You're wrong."

I did not respond. Chafing, the male continued to dispel the silence with useless words. He seemed to thrive on companionship. He imagined the enemy was still human, even if Kiwen threatened to cut out his tongue.

I was the only one who did not react with violence.

If he reacted at all.

"Would you care?" Iruka's question was biting. An accusation.

At last I turned. "You are disappointed in him."

The sensei blinked, doubtlessly surprised that I had spoken at all. His confusion faded and his glower returned. "I graduated him from the academy. He would have made an outstanding man in the future."

He waited for a reply, then asked softly, "Why did you care what happened to him?"

Iruka was an insightful teacher, yes, but even he could not have known.

The sensei's next words belayed my uncertainty. "You already killed his parents. You left him alone. Why did you return to Konoha?"

"For the nine-tails." It was simple.

Iruka shook his head, then winced as his shoulder twitched in an excruciating knot. "You ... could have rendered Hikodo unconscious," he panted. "Even killed him."

The dark eyes hinted my fate if he had done so.

"What sick game are you playing?" Iruka spat. "You tortured him and left him watching their deaths."

"Are you appealing to my sense of compassion?" I noted.

"I was there after his parents were murdered!" The fire in Iruka's eyes had roared into a maelstrom. "I held him when he asked why he was too weak for you to care! I taught him when his only desire was to kill you. I thought Kakashi had finally given him another reason to live. Until you took that away."

The harsh rebuke was almost unnerving.

"Hn."

Smoothly I rose and left the room. It was time he exchanged his watch with Hotan.

If he was supposed to have woken Kiwen instead.

It was only because they needed the sensei alive a short while longer.....

Hey guys ! Did you like it ! Tell me in the comments . It might finish in a few chapters sorry ! Anyways bye !!!