Chapter 10

I don't own any of the characters in the story as Masashi Kishimoto owns it all.

When the Kyuubi did arrive, it was not in a charge of flaming chakra and shinobi armies as I had expected. Two children and one adult must had broken away from their team, sneaking into the heart of enemy territory.

When I saw the boy, the glaring uniform unmistakable even years after he had encroached Konoha, he was ...

Startled.

A slash of a kunai and a groan from Iruka, and with protective gentleness the jinchuriki supported his teacher while the other two stayed in front for defence. "I've got you, Sensei."

Malice radiated from the quivering, orange-clad shoulders, yet the Kyuubi did not break free.

Unexpected.

A clack of sandals heralded my approach, and Naruto's face twisted into a feral snarl. "Stay back, you!"

Predictable. The emotions of a jinchuriki always overrode caution. Strange that he would rise to the defense of this unremarkable shinobi.

I had guessed right.

"I'm warning you!" Naruto growled as the Masiki continued his approach. He set Iruka down and stepped before him, kunai steady in his white-knuckled hand.

"You cannot defeat me with your little group of yours," I said sensibly. "Surrender yourself, or my partner will slay your comrade." A lie - Ekudo was still asleep on the other side of the hideout - but the alarms could be triggered instantly.

"You're not going near him." Fiercely defensive; even while Iruka weakly waved him down. Naruto's scowl intensified. "What did you do to him?"

Do? I raised one eyebrow. Any shinobi who had been suspended by his hands for three days, with no food or water and the occasional battering from an angered Jashinist, was bound to be swaying on his feet. I refused to take responsibility.

"Everyone, just go," Iruka urged. He gave a startled 'umph' as he was pushed back down. Brazenly Naruto stepped forward, kunai aligned with flashing blue eyes.

"Why did you take him?"

Kami, he intended to blame the whole of Masiki on me? Perhaps it was deserved; I had suggested kidnapping the teacher in the first place.

"Because he was useful," I said.

"That's not good enough!" Warily Naruto glanced to the side, anticipating an attack but the adult stopped him.

I shrugged one shoulder. Was the jinchuriki so dull? "He is your precious person."

Yes, even I, kinslayer and traitor, knew the significance of that one person. I had given up my world for a child.

"What would you know about that?" Naruto rallied. "After all you did to Hikodo!"

I didn't flinch, but the fingers of one hand curled.

"We've taking Iruka out of here," Naruto said, retreating to the rasping chunin. "Don't try to stop us."

"Hn." He could capture the jinchuriki now. The sensei was just blind bait.

Time had given him reason to consider.

Hikodo.

Naruto referred to him as though he was a friend; a brother.

Iruka still mourned his student.

Perhaps they would break through the damage I had created.

Quietly I turned. Naruto's startled shuffle echoed in the cave.

"Hey! Where are you going?"

"You have five minutes."

The jinchuriki was still, and a smile almost twitched the corner of my mouth. The fool had yet to run.

Scuffing his feet deliberately, I walked away. There was no retaliating attack. He expected as much.

A scuffle, a quiet groan from the sensei, and a rough murmur from the jinchuriki. "Come on, Iruka."

He was leaving with his precious person.

I was left to fight his own.

Stepping into the shadows, I closed his eyes. He remembered fear during the Kyuubi's attack; cradling a helpless infant. Pride as he watched Hikodo walk to the academy, proclaiming he was 'too old to hold his brother's hand'. Agony when Kaasan told him to finish his task on that bloody night. Hurt, knowing that Hikodo hated him.

Hikodo.

Hikodo.

Opening his eyes, I strode away from the wall. The inner cave was silent. It would remain so a few minutes longer.

His mind resolved once more, I turned down the hall.

Perhaps he would wear those spectacles Kiwen insisted on after all. It was a useful excuse for allowing the Kyuubi to escape.

For now he would wake my servant and allow him to shoulder the blame...