Sunday Funday

Nick was breathing hard and his heart was racing as he dragged his feet. He had forgotten how tiring it was to jog through the sand, the last time he'd done it was...he couldn't even remember. Once things started going down the drain with Lauren, Nick had put everything else in his life to the side and had focused on keeping her happy with whatever it took. This included his try at a third championship win and his money.

He couldn't believe that Max was beating him at the run. She was jogging right in front of him and he was enjoying the view.

"I gotta...take...a break!" Nick breathed.

Max turned around and continued to jog backwards. "No. We are supposed to make it to those stairs without stopping. You can do it."

"The fuck? You aren't even breaking a sweat or out of breath."

She smiled, "Turbo and I go for a run every morning. Then we go to the gym."

"Oh."

"I'll race you?" She spun around and sped up. Nick sped up too, determined to win. They both raced towards the stairs.

Just as they reached the stairs Nick grabbed onto her tank top and pulled her back and claimed his victory. He hopped around with his arms in the air shouting he was the winner. He was amazed at how good it felt to be pumped up with the adrenaline racing through his body after the run. Nick hadn't felt that good in a pretty long time.

"You are a damn cheater. I won!" Max exclaimed.

"Oh shit!" Nick stopped hopping around and bent over to throw up. He realized just how out of shape he really was.

"That's just gross! Nothing like a victory!" She teased.

Nick looked up and wiped his mouth with his hand. "Yeah, it's all your fault too."

"Someone has to get you back in shape. You really want to waste your life on booze and screwing anything you see with a skirt on?"

"What do you care?"

"It's not so much that I care about you. I just know that a lot of young people look up to you, as a fighter. You won two championships in a row...I watched whatever fights I could on TV with my uncle. That fight in June you had in Florida...I was there and you were amazing."

"That's the past!"

"You lost a fight on purpose last night. That's so low...but, this last fight in January is your chance to redeem yourself. So, here comes my plan. You need something to motivate you and that's going to be me." Max smiled. Nick looked at her confused, but didn't say anything. "You are going to train me. I have a fight worth fifty grand that I have to win February 2nd. I know you have it in you to train me and get yourself back in the game. What do you say?"

"Fuck no!" He started walking away.

She tugged at Turbo and followed Nick. "Oh come on! I know you are slightly tempted."

"I don't train anyone. Plus, that stupid fight is just another fight. I don't even know who I'm against yet."

"Fine, you want to be a loser go ahead. I on the other hand want and need to win that fight in February. My mom is going to get better and I need that money so that we can start a new life. We don't all have the luxury of throwing our lives away." Maxine turned around and jogged back to the house. 

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Howie didn't know what to say this time. He'd been such a jerk the night before and now he wasn't sure what he could say to apologize. The awkward silence was killing him.