Jerk Mode

"Thanks again for the ride." Maxine smiled at Derek. They were parked just outside of the gate. He didn't dare bring the car into Nick's driveway. "Can I ask what's all this hostility between you and Nick?"

He cleared his throat and looked ahead. "A while back he got with my sister...while she was still married. Then Jerry and I confronted him and he almost bashed his face in."

"Really? I know Nick has a tempter, but I don't think he just jumps on people. Did you guys confront him calmly?" After all these days with Nick it seemed that he did have moments of rage, but they were usually provoked by something or someone.

"Of course I did, Max. He's just a raging asshole who can't man up to his mistakes. Having an affair with my sister...that's just low. I know he brings women around all the time, drinks till he blacks out and does all kinds of drugs. He's a loser. How can anyone look up to someone like him?" Derek snapped angrily.

Maxine was a bit bothered by the anger in his voice. She just didn't see Nick that way anymore. Yet, everyone around him including his friends were having a hard time looking past all the bad.

"I don't mean to offend you or your sister...but it takes two, Derek. You're right he does do a lot of dumb things. I just think everyone should cut him some slack he's trying to change his life around."

"Yeah I see that. He must really like you." Derek turned to look at her.

Maxine felt her ears and cheeks warm up. Just the thought of Nick liking her that way made her nervous. There had been that almost kiss last night, if it wouldn't have been for those beautiful fireworks.

"Did you hear me?" Derek waved his hand in front of her face.

She shook her head to fall out of her daze and smiled at Derek. "Sorry. What did you say?"

"You need to wear red to the Soirée later today."

"Oh ok. I hope it's ok if Nick comes. I don't want any trouble." She started to gather her stuff and open the door.

Derek was silent for a bit and then shook his head. "It'll be fine. Go ahead and bring him." He smiled at her and she kissed his cheek quickly.

"Thanks again." She got out of the car and waved at him. Quickly she made way to the gate and entered the code for it to open. The gate opened and she hurried towards the house. When she entered the place was quite, with exception of Turbo huffing and trotting over to stand next to her. He licked her leg and barked. She bent down to massage his head and ears.

"Who's my good boy?" She spoke to him kindly and patted her leg for him to follow.

She set her things down on the bookcase and quietly walked up the stairs. Nick was sprawled out in his usual, half nakedness, fast asleep. Turbo hopped onto the bed and hovered over Nick, while Maxine tried to motion him to get off. Instead Turbo huffed waking Nick, who opened his eyes to find himself face to face with Turbo breathing on him. Maxine couldn't help to let out a laugh as she saw his face. It was a mixture of surprise and horror.

"Oh is that really funny?"

She nodded her head, holding her side from laughing so hard. "You should've seen your face."

With a swift movement he reached out and grabbed her by the waist and pulled her onto the bed. Turbo began to bark as he watched the twosome wrestling around. After all the struggling she had done trying to break free from his grasp, she ended up pinned under his body. They were both breathing hard and looking into each others eyes.

"Nick I have a question?" Nick tensed up and started to move, but she took hold of his arms. "It's a simple question. Did you hurt Jerry when he confronted you about having an affair with Heather?"