Warm Night

There were three cruisers with their lights whirling away parked in Nick's driveway, along with an ambulance and the fire truck making its way out. He stood next to one of the cruisers in cuffs.

"This is not going to be good for the press. Nick, you couldn't just hit him once? No, of course not." Howie paced along the driveway.

"He was trying to rape your daughter and on top of that he hit her. She kicked his ass too, but he hit her."

Howie sighed and stopped in front of Nick. "I know. The thing is that you beat him to a pulp and you're registered as a UFC fighter. Do you know what that means? You can go to jail. You aren't in cuffs for nothing."

Nick looked Howie straight in the eyes. "Howie...stop...take a deep breath...and fuckin chill. That motherfucker is crazy and all his family will vouch that he is and then they will let me go."

Nick sighed, the truth was he was hoping that Heather or someone would come down to confirm his craziness, because if they didn't, then Howie was right and he was going straight to jail. No more fights. No more Maxine. He sighed heavily letting his eyes trail off to Maxine. She was sitting on the back of the ambulance with a blanket around her. She was nodding her head and giving a half smile, probably to reassure the paramedics that she was fine.

"Mr. Carter, you got lucky tonight. Mr. Hall will be just fine and his family has decided on not pressing charges against you. They say he wasn't on his medication and just so your girlfriend knows he will be going back to the institute he was in." The cop informed while he released Nick from the tight cuffs.

"Thanks officer." Nick smiled at Howie knowing he was glaring at him for the assumption that Maxine was his girlfriend. "What? It's just an assumption." Nick laughed.

"Not funny Nick. Not funny." Howie tried to stay serious. Nick gave him a shoulder shove.

After all the commotion Howie and Nick enjoyed a beer while Maxine washed up and got ready for bed. Once he knew she was safely in her bed and Nick was far away from her room. He promised he'd be back to see her tomorrow night.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Maybe we shouldn't do this tonight. I had it all planned out, but after last night I'm not sure." Nick tucked in his long sleeve shirt as he watched Maxine slip into a black dress.

She turned to smile at him and nodded. "You should take a picture, it will last longer."

He rushed over to her and grabbed her from behind. "Why take a picture when I have you right here." Nick kissed the side of her neck and tightened his hold on her. "I have to admit that I was pretty freaked out last night. I just wanted to kill him."

"Well you almost succeeded." She turned around to face him. "Nick, promise me that you won't be that violent anymore. It's not so much for the other person, but because I know you are better than that and it wouldn't be fair that you go to jail over some asshole."

His fingers traced the bruise around her cheek. "Your face was all healed from last time and now you have another bruise. I should have killed him."

"Nick, don't change the subject. I'm serious."

"Fine. I promise. I still think I should have killed him."

"Then who would take me on this date tonight?"

"So, that means you still want to go?"

"Of course, you worked hard planning this out and I'm up for it. He didn't really touch me in that way and I'm fine. Really." She pecked him and bent over to slip on her shoes. "Now let's go...I'm anxious."