Fight Night

"So they weren't bad guys?" Maxine stared at herself in the mirror. It was the third time she was asking and still wasn't convinced by Nick's answer.

"You asked me that already all last night. I said no." Nick huffed.

"I feel like you're hiding something from me." she stated coming out of the bathroom.

Nick shook his head, "They were just the welcome committee." Nick cringed at his answer.

"Scary committee is more like it."

They both looked at the door as someone knocked. Nick quickly pushed Maxine back into the bathroom, without giving her a chance to protest. He rushed over to open the door hoping it wasn't the goons again.

He was relieved and panicked when he saw Howie standing in the hallway.

"Hey D! What's up?" he tried to act natural.

Howie eyed him suspiciously and quickly asked, "Hey, have you seen Max?"

Nick let out a nervous laugh. "No. Why do you always ask me?"

"Well...I ask you first since you're so chummy."

"Whatever! Hmm...she's so obsessed with being ready for her own fight, maybe she's in the gym. She wakes up at the crack of down to work out." Nick threw an arm over Howie's shoulder.

Howie quickly shrugged out of Nick's embrace and looked him over.

"What?!?"

"Carter, your shirtless, barefoot and your in your boxers. Don't hug me...and definitely don't go downstairs like that. I'll find her and meet you at the venue later."

Nick nodded embarrassed, "Oh right! I forgot I was getting dressed." He ran back inside, shutting the door behind him. He found Maxine in a fight of laughter.

"Wow! You were not suspicious at all."

"Don't even laugh. It's your fault I get nervous around him."

"No, it's your fault you don't have the guts to just tell him."

"It's not that easy, Max. I'm barely getting my friends back."

"Aw, you're so cute." She stood up and gave him a peck. "I guess I should go meet up with him so he doesn't send out a search party." She giggled opening the door.

Her eyes went wide as she stood face to face with AJ. Who was looking at her funny.

"Uh...hi...I was just leaving." Maxine quickly walked past him and towards the elevator.

AJ shook his head. "Oh no...tell me you're not sleeping with mini Dorough. Don't you feel weird when you look into her eyes..." AJ closed the door and continued making comments.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Nick pulled on his pants and checked his bag to make sure his essentials were handy.

"Crap! I know that look! You had it with Lauren."

Nick shook his head trying to avoid further eye contact with his friend. "I got a fight to get to."

"Umm...thought I'd tag along and go backstage."

Nick smiled throwing the bag over his shoulder. It had been many fights ago that AJ had always accompanied him to his fights. "Let's go then."

The twosome headed out, while AJ continued to tease Nick about Maxine.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Howie and Maxine hopped into the taxi. He'd found her wandering around the gym. She'd said she was wide awake and had decided to get a work out. He bought it.