Cherry

"So she's going to be fine, doc? I mean she doesn't have brain damage right?" Nick shuffled behind the doctor, who stopped at the top of the stairs to give Nick a dumbfound look.

"Brain damage? Do you have brain damage, Carter? Although sometimes I must say you act like you do." Nick tilted his head in confusion, then glared at the doctor. "Carter the girl is fine. She will have some bruising around her cheek and eye, maybe her sides will hurt a bit. Other than that she's just fine. Maybe next time you won't take such a pretty girl to a shithole like that."

"It won't happen again. This is my good friend's daughter and I made a mistake by taking her there. I'm just worried."

"Stop worrying. I'm glad I could help." He placed a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Good luck with the fight coming up. I heard you've been training." Nick nodded. "Keep it up! I don't want to have to put stitches on that face of yours." He was already making way down the stairs. "Take care, Carter." The doctor waved and walked out the door.

Maxine groaned as she slowly opened her eyes. There was panic in Nick's eyes as he stared right back at her.

"Hey!" He greeted her nervously.

"Crap! Did I get hit by a car?" She placed her hand over her head. It was pounding like crazy and her face was hurting.

Nick scratched the back of his head and tried to think of a way to let her know, that she'd been knocked out on the first round. "Uh...you lost!"

"You suck as a trainer." She mumbled through clenched teeth. It even hurt to talk.

He smiled down at her. "At least we have matching shiners." She glared at him with her swelling eye. "What? I'm just saying."

The house phone rang and Nick rushed over to pick it up. 

"Why am I in your bed?" Maxine wrestled her way out of Nick's bed and up to the bathroom. Her whole body hurt and her head was pounding out of control. Nick watched as Maxine fumbled to the bathroom.

"Yeah, sure let them in." Nick spoke into the phone and quickly hung up. He stood next to the bathroom door. "You need some help!"

"Asshole!" Maxine snapped.

The doorbell rang and Nick ran down the stairs to meet up with whoever was at the door. Turbo was at his side and barking a storm.

"Would you shut your pie hole! Go sit!" Nick pointed a finger at the couch. Turbo tilted his head to the side and scampered back onto the couch with a huff. Nick quickly opened the door and smiled wide when Baylee and Brian stood at the door smiling at him.

"Hey you guys! What brings you around here? Come in." They both walked in and Nick was embraced tight by Baylee. "Hey, little man. Actually, you aren't so little anymore."

"I know. I'm almost as tall as dad." The kid giggled and Nick joined him after seeing Brian's expression.

"You can't blame him. You're short, dude."

"Shut up!" Brian playfully punched Nick. "So, Leighanne and I came down for Kevin's big New Years bash. Thought we should just spend Christmas here too. Are you going?"

"Yeah. I think." Nick remembered getting the invitation, but he hadn't even bothered opening it. He didn't really open any of his mail. Tati, his housekeeper used to do it for him. He made a mental not to remember to open his mail, since she wasn't coming back.

"I was wondering if I could bother you tonight." Brian began. "Leighanne and I were invited to a holiday party along with AJ and Rochelle. We don't have anyone to leave Baylee with. Uncle Kevin is working."