Goodbye

The next morning was a hard one, especially because Maxine knew that it was the day her mother would be taken off her life support. Yet, Maxine didn't change her usual routine. They did their morning run in silence. Hit the gym for a few hours of training with Marco. Cleaned up at the gym and met Howie at the hospital.

Maxine could see the doctors mouth moving as he spoke to them, but she had no idea what exactly he was saying. She had a tight hold on her mother's hand and the tears were running down her face.

"We'll give you some time. We'll be right outside." Howie said almost putting a hand on her shoulder.

It was too hard to answer him so she stayed quiet. She heard as they shuffled out of the room to give her a moment with her mother. As soon as she knew they were gone she broke into a sob and dug her face into Kristine's chest. Maxine could hear the steady beating of her heart. Her chest still rose with each breath. 

Was she still alive?

"I should have lost that day. Stupid fight!" Maxine mumbled trying to breath in her mother's familiar scent, but all she could pick up was the smell of medication and hospital. "Don't leave me mom. What am I supposed to do without you?" She sat back up and took hold of her mother's hands again. They were still warm as she pressed them against her cheek.

Nick let out a sigh as he walked back into the hospital room. He could hear Maxine crying and it tore him up inside to see her so helpless. He dug his hands deep into his pockets and spoke softly. "Max...it's time."

Sniffling back the tears Maxine stood up and placed a kiss on her mother's cheek. "I love you mom. Goodbye." She looked up at Nick and gave him a nod that assured him she was ready. Quietly she leaned against the wall and watched as the doctor and nurse slowly removed everything from her mother. First went the dripper. Next was the tube that was in her mouth. the machines were shut off. Lastly, the nurse was courteous enough to remove the IVs from her hands.

Maxine watched as they made the end to her mother's life, official. There was still a spark of hope deep down inside of her, that maybe; just maybe her mother would take a deep breath. When that didn't happen Maxine felt her chest tighten, it felt like her heart might explode. It made her feel like kicking and screaming. At that moment she realized, that having her mother lying there dead, but alive, was much better than knowing she would never see her again.

She crept back up to the bed and placed a hand on her mother's chest, feeling as the beating slowly started to subside. The room suddenly went uncomfortably silent. Nick hesitantly placed a hand on her shoulder for comfort and to his surprise she turned around to wrap her arms around his waist. He embraced her tightly as her body shook against his. His hand stroking her back tenderly as he held onto her.

Howie watched the twosome interact and felt a hint of jealousy. The fact that she'd rather be comforted by Nick and not her own father bothered him. Then again, he couldn't blame her, to her he was still a stranger. Not only was he jealous of their bond, but he found himself concerned. Regardless of being close friends with Nick, he knew all his bad habits and how adulterating he could be when it came to women. Howie made a mental note to warn Nick about getting to close to his daughter.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maxine didn't talk much on the way back to Nick's house. She just stared out the window and swiped at the tears that still hadn't stopped. As soon as they all entered the house she stormed straight to her room and slammed the door.

"She's never going to forgive me!" Howie sighed taking a seat on the sofa.

Nick joined him and patted his close friends shoulder. "Give her some time to grieve. She feels alone, from what she talks about, her mother was the last person she had."

"She has us now." Howie swallowed hard as he remembered what he was going to talk to Nick about. "Nick..." He started.

"What's up?" Nick asked getting off the couch to let Turbo into the house. The dog trotted in, stopped to stare at Howie (who looked a bit panicked), then took a seat right next to him.

"You and Max have hit it off...well" Maybe he'd find out just how well they were getting along.

Nick shrugged, "She's just like you. Pushy...bossy...sweet...kind...a pain in my ass! However, I'm doing better because of her." He headed towards the kitchen. "Wanna beer D?"

Howie groaned, "Sure. What the hell."

Nick came back with two beers in his hands. "Must've been hard to see that happen to Kristine?"

"Actually, it was really hard to see. I wish she would have said something...so many years lost. That was the first girl...woman I ever truly loved. Yet, she broke my heart and kept me from my daughter all this time. Now she's gone and I can't even ask her why."

"You still have Max. She's a good kid."

"Yeah. I see you're really fond of her." Howie looked up at Nick as he took a sip of his beer.

Nick looked at him confused. "Don't even get shit twisted Howie. I did you a favor by keeping her here and there is jack-shit happening between us. I happen to like her will to do things and she's the only person that no matter what a douche-bag I am...doesn't give up on me."

Howie frowned, "I don't give up on you. I don't live here anymore so I can't keep up with all the bullshit you get yourself into. Plus, you know I'm not with the whole fighting thing. That's why I would really appreciate it if you didn't egg her on about fighting. She's a pretty girl and smart. She can do something else...something better. Fighting...I saw her eye. You guys didn't think I wouldn't notice the ton of makeup she keeps putting over it?"

"That was my fault." Nick sighed.

"What the fuck did you do?" Howie's voice escalated as he thought the worst.

Nick rolled his eyes and didn't get a chance to answer. They heard a door open and close then Maxine appeared in her uniform. She stopped at the sliding doors as she ruffled Turbo's ears, and then turned to look at the twosome that had their necks craned to see her.

"Don't think that I am not mad...I'm not ok with you two lying to me about my mother. I would have liked to have known from the beginning." Her gaze fell upon her dog who was obediently sitting. "It's not either one of your fault...I know you guys were trying to protect me. I appreciate that. Just...next time something happens...don't treat me like I'm a little girl. Just be honest." Her gaze fell upon the two men that were looking at her surprised. "You missed that part of my life...Howie. I gotta go." She said goodbye to her dog and slid the door shut.

Nick and Howie both looked at each other. "That's definitely my kid." Howie half smiled.

"Definitely." Nick agreed as they both took a long swig of their beer.