Stay Awake

Maxine panted as she sat in the corner stool and her trainer quickly patched up her cheek. Nick kneeled down to her level. He knew her opponent, Andrea Blanco, was putting up a fight and making it really difficult for Maxine to win.

"You can't fight with fear! This is your fight and you're going to win it! Don't worry about that asshole out there. I found out there is someone bigger out there..."

She looked at him curiously as she stood up and the trainer removed the stool.

"I don't want anything to happen to you!"

"Carlos is going to be in just as much trouble as we are if you win!! So kick her ass..."

They hurried out of the ring and the fight commenced. Maxine and Andrea both circled each other throwing punches. They were both tired and hungry to win.

Andrea kicked at Maxine's legs and she went down. Quickly her opponent was on her throwing punches, she was trying to cover her face and for an instant saw stars.

"Get up Max!"

She could hear Nick's voice cheering her on. Then she imagined her mother watching her and knowing that she too would want her to get up.

Maxine swung at Andrea and hit her in the side repeatedly, then with all her willpower she pushed her whole body up forcing Andrea off. Swiftly Maxine was back on her feet and waiting for her to get up.

Nick's eyes moved from Carlos to Maxine in the ring. His plan was now in motion. He was hoping it would work and that nor he or Maxine would have to get their hands dirty. Now it was up to her to win and put the plan in full effect.

What Nick had told her kept running through her mind. Her thoughts got the best of her and didn't see the blow coming. She fell against the rope and Andrea charged towards her. After a deep breath and gathering all the strength she could; she closed her eyes and threw the punch.

It wasn't till she heard the crowd go wild and the announcer say her name that she opened her eyes and realized that Andrea was out cold.

She had won!

Maxine didn't know if she should cheer or cry. The tears pooled in her eyes and they didn't fall till she felt Nick wrap his arms around her.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the locker room Maxine looked around nervously; knowing that she'd been face to face with Carlos and his goons in that same room made her cringe.

"I'm so proud of you kiddo. I never imagined cheering you on for kicking someone else's butt." Howie laughed and gave his daughter a really tight hug.

"Congratulations Max. You were amazing out there!" Leigh complimented and gave Maxine a quick hug. 

"Thank you guys for coming and believing in me."

"You're part of our family. We are here for you!" Leigh patted her shoulder.

"Well we will wait for you guys out in the back. They don't want the big money winner to be seen." Leigh and Howie both laughed and exited the room.

Marco had congratulated her and had headed out to meet his family for dinner. She had collected her winnings and had in her possession a fifty-thousand dollar check in her bag.

Now she was left alone with Nick. She sighed and looked over at him. He was smiling, but she could still see the worry in his eyes.

"We're still alive!" Maxine teased as she looked into his blue eyes.

He pecked her and half smiled. "We need to get out of here now! He's bound to come look for us, we need to meet everyone out back."

"Uh ok. I'm not even changed." She removed the silky robe that read her last name and stuffed it into her bag.