Consequences

Nick could feel someone tugging at his arm and he could hear the crowd cheering. Had he won? He wondered as he collided with the fence. He was still trying to catch his breath and his eye had swelled shut.

"Nick you did it! You won!" Maxine and Marco helped him back to his feet. He smiled coming back to his senses. Court had already been carried out and the referee was announcing Nick as the winner. He wasn't a champion, but he'd beat Court's ass just like he'd dreamed of. His lips curled into a smile as he felt Maxine's arms wrap around his waist.

Nick looked down at her as she looked up at him with her big brown puppy eyes. "I'm so proud of you!" She mouthed. He leaned down towards her, cupped her face with his hands and responded with a kiss. They both forgot about everyone else, even Howie, as their kiss deepened.

Howie shot up quickly when he saw his daughter and Nick embracing with their lips locked. He had always had his suspicions, but now it was confirmed. A hand on his shoulders stopped him from rushing into the octagon and yanking Maxine out of Nick's grip.

"She's old enough to make her own decisions, honey." Leigh gave her husband a reassuring smile. However, he wasn't reassured or happy with the situation. 

"Nick is not the kind of guy I would like for my daughter." Howie glared at the twosome as they exited the octagon.

Baylee ran up to Nick and gave him a big hug. "You were awesome Uncle Nick!" He praised with a big smile.

Nick grinned and squeezed Baylee. "Thanks little man. I'm glad you came to see me."

"I would never miss it!" They gave each other a high-five.

Nick was directed to continue walking by the medics leaving him no chance to talk to the rest of his friends. He just gave them a quick wave and disappeared into the tunnel.

Once Nick was gone, it dawned on Maxine that they had shared a very intimate moment in front of all his fans and friends. The whole group was looking at her expectantly, especially Howie.

"It just happened." She mumbled turning around to make way out of the showground.

The ride home had been quiet and now the elevator ride up to the room was even worse. It would have been eerily silent if it wasn't for the elevator music that was playing. The doors opened and they all walked out and down the hallway. Leigh could sense the tension between the twosome, so she excused herself to go and change and left Howie and Maxine in the hallway.

"I'd rather you just say what you want to say, instead of giving me the silent treatment. I'm not a little girl anymore and I can handle whatever you want to tell me." She crossed her arms over her chest.

Howie let out a heavy sigh. "Max, I want what is best for you. Nick is...Leigh and I really think you should come back to Florida with us. I mean your fighting tournament is going to be out there anyway. You get a chance to get to know us and your brother, James." He gave her a nod hoping she would accept his proposition.

Maxine thought about what it would be like to have a family all over again. No one would ever fill her mother's shoes, but having a dad, brother and a step mother sounded so tempting. What would happen to Nick though? She felt her heart swell up in her chest with just the thought of leaving him alone.

"I can't..." She muttered.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They finished bandaging Nick's torso it felt uncomfortable to be wrapped up so tight it was difficult to breath, but it was doctor's orders and he was lucky it was only a bruised rib and not broken. He thanked the medic and started getting dressed.