Two Weeks

Maxine couldn't believe that two whole weeks had already gone by. She really missed waking up to Nick next to her and a snoring Turbo at the foot of the bed. Almost every morning to woke up at the crack of dawn to do her runs, but it just wasn't the same. Every day she wondered what they were up to, she wondered if Nick thought about her, or even missed her. 

"Crap!" She dabbed at her eyes. Every time she thought about him there was an ache in her heart and she felt the tears rim her eyes.

Maxine felt ungrateful as she put the keys on the counter. Could she really complain?

Howie and Leigh were doing everything within their reach to make her feel comfortable. From moving out of the office to let her convert it to her own room, to having Nick send out her scooter. She sighed taking out a bottle of water from the fridge; sluggishly she twisted the top off and took a sip. Her eyes scanned the condo. It was so clean, it almost looked like no one lived there. She was still getting used to the whole glass house thing; it was like anyone could look in.

"Hey there!" Leigh came waltzing into the kitchen with James in tow.

Maxine was startled by the twosome, "Holy cow! I didn't know anyone was here. It's so quiet."

"James just woke up from his nap. I'm taking him to his play date. How is your day?"

"Crappy! It's like I have so many things to do...good productive things...but I can't concentrate on them. I dropped a whole tray at work last night. Luckily Lucy really likes me and just excused me for the rest of the day."

"Lucy is patient. She's had so many bad workers at the Beach Hut it's not even funny."

"Yeah she was saying something about that. I feel so stupid. I have so many things on my mind..."

"Is it more like one? Nick."

Maxine didn't want to admit it was Nick on her mind. It was sort of embarrassing to say it out loud. She gave Leigh a quick shrug. "A little." She lied.

Leigh smiled. "If it's any consolation he's a mess. Maybe you should talk to him and see if he will come and visit."

"No way." Maxine bit at the corner of her lip. "Wouldn't he come on his own if he felt the same way I do? I mean, I told him..." She thought about letting Leigh in on her secret. Leigh was the closest to a friend that she had at the time. Howie wasn't exactly the person she wanted to talk about her love life with and there really wasn't anyone else around. "I told him that I loved him."

"Really? What did he say?" Leigh leaned against the counter intrigued by Maxine's confession. Meanwhile James busied himself with a pile of blocks in the living room.

"Nothing. He said nothing, but he did kiss me."

Leigh pondered for a bit. "A kiss is a good answer. It's Nick we are talking about. He didn't admit he had a problem till you came along and even then I don't think he ever openly admitted it. Did he?"

Maxine shook her head and giggled.

"See. Men are just as complicated as us women." She snatched her bag off the counter and pulled it onto her shoulder. Tenderly she placed a hand on Maxine's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Things are going to work out, Max. Love is complicated..."

"Yeah, I see that."

Leigh chuckled. "Just hang in there. Also, thank you for trusting me. Whatever we talk about I promise stays between us."

"Thanks Leigh." She watched as Leigh picked up the blocks and took James' hand. He turned to look at her and waved his little hand. James was still adjusting to having an older sister; he was shy about it.