Friends and Enemies

Kevin, Kristen, Howie, Nick and Maxine were all in line to check their bags. Howie was first and didn't feel comfortable with the constant whispering and laughing coming from behind him, it seemed Maxine and Nick were caught up in a very secretive conversation. He was jealous that she always had something to talk about with him. Then again, he couldn't blame the twosome, they spent day and night together and he had left her with him.

"Thank you." He smiled at the woman and stepped aside to wait for the others. Maxine quickly checked her luggage and was right at his side.

"Is everything alright?" She asked him with a nudge.

Howie sighed, "Yeah. Although I'm going to admit that it makes me a bit uncomfortable to see you and Nick so close. I know he's a good guy and all, but trouble always follows him and I wouldn't want to see you get hurt."

Maxine smiled up at her dad. "Awe...you worry about me." She kissed his cheek making him blush. "Actually, I think you should know—"

Nick was swiftly at their side trying to avoid Maxine from saying anything that would ruin their trip. "That she's afraid of flying." Maxine looked up at him startled and he faked a smile.

"Oh...well its ok you're sitting between Nick and I. You'll be safe."

She grinned already imagining the awkward silence that would ensue on the flight. "I feel safer already. I'm going to the restroom."

"Hey Howie let's get a coffee. I need my midday coffee." Kevin stated holding his wife's hand.

Howie didn't hesitate to go off with them, while Nick took a seat to wait for the threesome to disappear. He was disguised in a ball cap close to covering his eyes and a grey hoodie that fit him loose. Quickly after the three were out of sight he ran off to find Maxine who was coming out of the bathroom.

"Have you lost your mind?" Nick questioned her leaning against the wall.

Maxine scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"You were going to tell him about us. That would ruin this whole trip."

She stood close to him and ran a hand over his cheek. "You worry too much. I'm old enough to make my own decisions, Nick."

"Yeah but he's your dad. He wants what is best for you. According to him and everyone else I'm bad. I bring on bad things and I'm starting to agree."

With a roll of her eyes she took his hand and dragged him across the hall to the staircase. They pushed past the doors and quickly her lips met with his. He pressed her against the wall his hands resting on her sides as their kiss deepened.

They parted to catch their breaths. Nick leaned his forehead against hers and smiled. "I'm stuck on you." She smiled back.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The flight attendant was announcing everyone to buckle up for landing. The Las Vegas strip was visible in Nick's window and it made his stomach somersault. All the worries that he'd forgotten were back to haunt him. He was still debating on what he was going to do at the time of the fight.

He knew that whatever his decision, it would affect him and everyone around him.

Nick had busied himself listening to Howie's iPod, who according to him was full of corny shit. He laughed when Lionel Richie started blaring through his earphones. There was no hiding that Howie was a big sap. He turned to look at his neighbors, Howie was turned around yapping with Kevin who was across the way and Maxine stopped pretending to read her magazine just to run a hand over Nick's leg making him jump. He smacked her hand away and she snickered.