• Chapter 16

"ALL CLEAR!"

Molly couldn't help, but roll her eyes in annoyance at Courtney's shout as she slowly crept out from behind the building with Rick and Yolanda behind her. Beth, who was a few feet ahead of them, waved to the three of them with her gloved hand, "She said all clear, guys!"

As Beth turned away, Molly, Rick, and Yolanda all looked at each other uneasily. It wasn't intended towards Beth though. It was more towards Courtney, who had been making them suit up and patrol every night for the past six months. Courtney insisted that it was necessary. However, nobody else agreed with her, especially Molly.

The four of them walked over to Courtney, who was holding her bright staff nervously while staring at them. Molly rubbed her gloved hand against her temple while trying to remain patient. She heard Rick scoff quietly next to her before pointing to the garbage cans next to them and asking Courtney, "So, no supervillains? Did you check inside the trash can?"

"Sarcasm. Noted," Courtney just nodded while laughing slightly, "So, I've got twenty-seven minutes until curfew. How about we do one more loop around the Sub Shack?"

The rest of the team looked at each other slightly uncertain and annoyed. However, Courtney didn't seem to catch on as she asked, "Beth, any sign of trouble?"

Beth, who was the only one who managed to put a fake wide smile on her face, turned on her goggles and spoke, "Goggles, checking in. Again. Anything out there?" As she circled around the area to look, she continued, "Hello? These things just aren't as much fun without Chuck."

Molly couldn't help, but smile sadly away Beth. For months, Beth had tried to get Chuck back. She even asked Molly to try creating a new pair of goggles, hoping Chuck would be there. Molly tried multiple times, but every time she tried, Chuck wouldn't be there. So Beth resulted in going back to doing the old fashioned way: trying to get Chuck back by programming on her MacBook. Molly had faith Beth would do it. She was the smartest person she knew besides herself.

"Nothing. No sign of the Gambler or Cindy Burman or Solomon Grundy." Beth informed Courtney as the two of them led Molly, Rick, and Yolanda back to the sidewalk from behind the Sub Shack.

Molly finally looked over at Rick, who saw the look that she was giving him. Finally, he said to the group, "Guys, I beat Grundy, okay? And the Gambler is a wimp. And Cindy Burman probably got crushed with Brainwave when the dish caved in."

"I doubt it. And the others could-"

"Courtney, there are no others!" Molly finally a stated annoyed. Courtney looked slightly surprised by her outburst, but that didn't stop her from continuing, "Icicle was shattered by Mike into a thousand pieces. Tigress and Sportsmaster are in jail, and Dragon King is dead. Look, I understand, Courtney. I really do. But the Injustice Society is done, and there are other things that the rest of us could be doing. Finals are tomorrow, and... there are other things that need to be done."

Molly could feel Rick looking at her, but she purposefully kept her head down so she wouldn't look at him. Then, Yolanda spoke up from the other side of Rick, "I think we should call it a night, Court."

"Me too," Beth agreed with them.

Courtney just looked at the four of them in disbelief and exclaimed, "We're the Justice Society of America! We can't quit!"

"We're not quitting! We're still the JSA. And if something happens, we'll suit up and be there," Yolanda immediately reassured her, "But right now, we're protecting a town that doesn't really need it."

Courtney hesitated before letting out a small sigh and nodding her head, "Okay. Maybe we can cut patrol back from seven nights a week to six?"

Molly bit her lip so she wouldn't let out her sigh of annoyance. Yolanda, Beth, Rick, and Molly all looked at each other before they all walked away from Courtney.