• Chapter 17

Well, it has officially been twenty-four hours, and Molly was already bored out of her mind. Without school, Molly didn't even know what to do with herself. She wanted to investigate more about her mother and the Shade, but she felt strange doing that without Rick. It just made her feel... uncomfortable.

Since Molly was tired of sitting in the house and watching Grey's Anatomy, she decided to go take a walk to town to get a milkshake from Richie's. A strawberry shake wouldn't help her boredom, but it would definitely make her happy. As she slowly walked down the sidewalk, she felt a cold breeze rush through her. She shivered and crossed her arms around her body. Why was it so cold? It's June. It shouldn't be this cold.

Molly looked around the small town she was raised in. The same shops that lined the main strip hadn't changed. Mainly because Blue Valley was such a small town that nobody ever thought it was ever worth changing. However, something was different. Around this time of the year, many townspeople were outside on the strip, either going to eat at Richie's Diner or shopping at an old antique store down the street. However, there were very few people out today. In fact, the town almost looked abandoned. Molly had never seen Blue Valley like this.

As she came to an intersection to cross the street, Molly's heart nearly stopped. Across the street, she saw a boy painting a mural on the side of the building. The mural mainly consisted of a man with slicked back blonde hair in a suit, looking out into the distance of specific hotspots of Blue Valley. The painter was wearing sweat pants, a black sweater, and had dark brown hair. Based on the man in the mural and the way the painter held his paint brush, she immediately knew who it was.

Cameron Mahkent. Her best friend.

After the news broke out that Jordan Mahkent had passed, Cameron and his grandparents left town so they could take some time to mourn and heal. Molly hadn't heard from Cameron in six months. However, she never really made the effort to reach out. It was something she struggled with constantly. She wanted to call or text Cameron, but how could she when she's part of the reason his father is now dead? How could she look him in the face and act like everything was okay? Maybe she should go say something now. But what if he didn't want to see her? What if she couldn't face him? He probably didn't even want to talk to her since she basically ignored him for six months. Then, he would definitely know something is up.

Molly immediately broke out of her thoughts from the feeling of her phone vibrating in her back pocket. She quickly pulled it out and saw Beth's name flashing on the screen. Her thumb quickly pressed the green button before she said, "Hey, Beth! What's up?"

"Thank goodness you answered! I've tried calling Rick three times, but he hasn't answered," She heard Beth said in an excited tone.

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" She asked her while turning around and walking in the other direction so Cameron somehow wouldn't see her.

"You're never going to believe it," Beth said through the phone, and Molly could practically see the excited smile plastered on her face, "There's another superhero in town!"

"What?! Who is it?!" Molly immediately began to ask as she quickened her pace down the sidewalk.

"Green Lantern's daughter! Pat is with her at the Pit Stop right now! I'm on my way to meet them right now. Are you busy?" She asked.

"No, I can come now," Molly assured her, starting to become out of breath by how fast she was walking. Then, she asked, "Do you need me to try to call Rick?"

Beth replied, "No, that's okay. I'll try again, and I promise I'll explain everything when you get there. I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah, I'll be there in fifteen minutes. I still need a strawberry shake."