• Chapter 23

When Beth sent out a text message to the group that evening to meet at the Pit Stop as soon as possible, Molly and Rick didn't hesitate to rush out the door. Rick actually managed to get Molly to just relax. The two of them sat on her bed together and watched Grey's Anatomy the whole day. When Tessa got home and saw the two of them in Molly's room laughing together, she just smiled to herself and let them be. However, once it hit five o'clock, the mood changed very quickly when they were informed that Pat was in the hospital.

As soon as the two of them reached the Pit Stop and walked inside, a gasp escaped from Molly's lips as soon as the two of them reached the doorway. S.T.R.I.P.E. was completely destroyed. There were wires everywhere with one of his arms resting on the ground and his head sitting straight up on the table like it was on a pedestal. It was almost taunting. Molly and Rick slowly walked inside in shock as Yolanda and Beth rummaged through the damage.

"What the hell happened?" Rick asked them.

Yolanda, who was standing in front of S.T.R.I.P.E. with her arms crossed, slowly turned around and informed them, "I think Isaac Bowin did this."

Molly looked at her confused, but before she could say anything, Beth spoke up, "No, it was Artemis Crock. She told me she knew who put her parents away. She's out for blood."

"Well, Isaac came to the diner. He was acting all stalkery and mumbling about his mom. Like... we had something to do with her death. Makes sense now," Yolanda informed them.

They all looked at each other confused for a moment before Molly let out a frustrated sigh and asked, "So the children of the Injustice Society are working together now?"

That's when Rick finally spoke up from beside her, "Cindy Burman is behind this. I'll bet you anything."

The four of them looked at each other uneasily before they all turned to look back up at S.T.R.I.P.E. Molly let out a small sigh while running her fingers through her hair. She turned to Yolanda and Beth and asked, "Is Pat going to be okay?"

"He's in the hospital with a bad concussion, but the doctor said he should be fine," Yolanda replied, which made Molly let out a sigh of relief.

That's when all of their phones rang at the same time, four different ringtones playing in the air. They looked at each other suspiciously before pulling their phones out together. It was a message from Courtney in the group chat.

Cindy Burman has Mike. Suit up. I'm on my way.

"Shit," Molly muttered underneath her breath.

"How does Cindy Burman have Mike?" Beth asked in a panicked tone.

Yolanda just shook her head and asked, "Cindy Burman is alive?"

Rick shoved his phone back in his pocket and looked between the three girls, "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go."

The three girls rolled their eyes at Rick's usual sass. However, Molly knew he was just ready to kick some ass. She was too. In fact, she'd been waiting to kick Cindy's ass for a very long time. Cindy wasn't going to get away with this.

Not with Molly's team.

———

Exactly an hour later, the five of them were suited up and walking into the cafeteria of Blue Valley High School. Molly felt more determined than ever to save Mike, especially from Cindy Burman and her new team. She always liked Artemis Crock and Isaac Bowin, but Cindy got to them first. She didn't want to hurt them.

As soon as they entered the cafeteria, the heard the tone of a playing violin fill the air, causing a shiver to run down Molly's spine. They five of them slowly walked towards the source of the music. Molly twirled her wrists to form the purple orbs of light as they turned the corner. That's when they saw them.