• Chapter 6

It had been a few days since the party. Since it was on a Friday, Cameron had the weekend to recover from getting drunk for the first time. Apparently, he was freaking out about what would happen if he found Courtney at the party so he ended up chugging like six beers. That's how he ended up becoming drunk so fast. He felt like absolute shit the next day so Molly was happy that Mr. Mahkent was out on a business trip for the weekend so he wouldn't find out. Cameron never did find Courtney though, which made Molly a little disappointed. At least now she could say that she had been to a party. She never planned to go to one again in her life.

It was almost time for study hall. Normally, Molly wouldn't be very excited for it since she would just want to stay in class, but today was different. She had a lot that she had to get done so the last thing she wanted to do right now was listen to Mr. Duvall's math jokes.

As she wrote down the equation Mr. Duvall was writing on the board, she felt something hit her shoulder. Without looking back, she rolled her eyes slightly at stupid people throwing things at her before continuing to write her notes. Then, she felt somebody poking her hard in the shoulder quickly. That's when she spun around with wide eyes, scared she was going to get in trouble but also very annoyed. She turned around and saw Courtney staring at her. Molly looked at her confused as she held out a folded up piece of paper to her. Molly quickly checked to make sure Mr. Duvall wasn't looking before taking the note quickly and turning back around. She placed it underneath her desk before unfolding it.

Home Ec room after class.

Molly just read the note over and over again confused. What did Courtney want to meet her for? Then, Mr. Duvall turned back around, causing Molly to crumble up the note and shove it in the pocket of her jeans. Then, Mr. Duvall asked, "Now, who can tell me what the quadratic formula is used for?"

As usual, Molly raised her hand, causing everyone around her to roll their eyes.

———

Once the bell rang, Molly closed her notebook and placed it in her book bag. As she began to place all of the lids on her colored pens, she saw Courtney rush past her. The two of them made eye contact before Courtney rushed out the door. Molly couldn't help, but wonder what Courtney wanted to talk to her about. Did she have a question about Blue Valley? Was it about Cameron? What if it was about the picture she found?

As a nervous feeling formed in her stomach, Molly hoisted her bag over her shoulder and walked out of the classroom. She hurried down the hallway before Cameron or Beth could stop her to talk. Once she reached the door to the Home Ec Room, she let out the breath she was holding before walking in. Courtney was sitting at one of the tables with a sewing machine. Molly closed the door behind her, which made Courtney look up at her and give her a small smile. Molly returned it, but held the straps of her bag nervously.

"Hey, Molly," Courtney smiled lightly while standing up from the table.

"Hey, Courtney," Molly greeted in return. There was a moment of awkward silence before Molly asked, "So what's up? Is there something I can help you with? Did you have any questions about anything? Oh, were you wanting to ask-"

"I saw you at the party last night," Courtney cut her off.

Molly looked at her confused and asked, "What?"

"I saw you last night," She repeated before clarifying, "I saw you at the party. With Cameron."

Then, Molly's eyes widened in shock. She just shook her head and took a step towards Courtney to reassure her, "Oh, Courtney. No, Cameron and I are just friends. We've been best friends for a really long time. Nothing would ever happen between us. I'm sorry-"