-14-

The dreaded beeping sound of the heart monitor, the only thing keeping everyone relieved. If that was the right word to call it. Relief, relief that she hasn't died yet? A sick, tormenting joke of relief. She was still going, she was still alive. Hanging by a small thread but she was still fighting. Fighting a incurable illness which no one would be able to survive.

Mrs Jeon was currently sleeping, seeing her son for the first time in ages and the last time forever, was overwhelming and draining for a sick person. Jeongguk hadn't left her side, with his hand never leaving his mothers. His mind full of regret and sadness, throwing grief back and forth, making him mentally exhausted. He was slowly falling asleep, but every time his eyes shut he would shake his head and wake up again.

Taehyung noticed as he sat on the floor, resting his back against the wall, as he gave them privacy. But now Mrs Jeon was asleep, he didn't think Jeongguk needed privacy. He quietly stood up and made his way to his boyfriend. Taehyung wanted to show that he's there for him, through ups and downs and this is where he was going to start.

"Baby" Tae chimed softly, not wanting to scare him.
Jeongguk tiredly looked up at the elder, with his eyes drooping, but no enough so he couldn't see his boyfriend.
"Bun, try and sleep" Tae whispered as he gently moved the raven hair out of his face before caressing his cheek.
"I can't Tae" Jeongguk whispered back, leaning into his warm touch.
"No baby, you need to sleep. I'll stay awake for you if anything happens I'll wake you up straight away" Tae almost demanded.
"Can I sit on your lap?" Jeongguk questioned in a small voice as he searched for comfort.
"Of course" Tae kissed the top of his head.

Jeongguk stood up and Tae quietly moved the seat closer to the bed so it was easier for Jeongguk to hold her hand comfortably. Taehyung grabbed his jersey jacket which the younger took off earlier. He sat down and guided Jeongguk back so he was sitting with both his legs on one side. Tae's tail wrapped around the younger's waist straight away before draping the jersey over the younger to keep him warm.

Tae guided his arms under the jacket and wrapped his arms around his waist as well. Jeongguk snuggled up to his neck, and pressed a few kisses under his chin before he drifted off to sleep.
"Sleep well bun" Tae whispered as he sat there with his eyes open, drawing pictures in his mind on the dull wall which faced him.

Taehyung was used to staying up through the night. I mean when you're left alone all night, you can't not stay awake. The big, scary tiger alone in a huge house, creates alertness and awareness which only creates more stress to him, so he usually finds that he can never fall asleep.

Tae vowed to himself that he'll do everything he could to protect the boy who was fast asleep in his arms. He wanted to be a place where the younger could go to when he needed someone. He was going to be his safe place and protector.

->

Tae was still awake, he promised the younger that he wouldn't fall asleep and he didn't, he swore to himself that he wouldn't break his promise. Jeongguk was still fast asleep in the elders hold. But that was about to come to an end soon. Tae caressed the younger's waist gently, as he roved them side to side when Jeongguk would whine in his sleep, stopping him from getting any nightmares.

Taehyung was just minding his own business till the steady beeps he was hearing, changed. Tae noticed the slight difference straight away as his hearing is much better than a humans. He quickly woke his boyfriend up, as her heartbeat quickened.
"Mama" Jeongguk cried as he stood up holding her hand.

Tae pressed the emergency button as the heart monitor was flashing brightly, till all of a sudden it made a life long beep and it stopped. The beeps were no more and the air was thick. Jeongguk fell to the ground, as his whole life fell apart.

The doctors rushed in and saw the heart breaking sight. They knew about Jeongguk's past, they were the only people who did know. They knew that was it for his family. He had no one else to call his blood family.

Jeongguk was watching all the doctors flood in, but it was as if it was in slow motion. The small, high pitch, buzzing in his ears, and only mumbled words which came from a few steps away, sounded like they were miles away. His eyes were blurry, and his head was spinning.

"Bun? Guk? Jeongguk?" Tae's voice was very faint, till all of a sudden he blacked out.