Chapter 1: The boy in the corner: Backstory part 1

Tw: Blood

In the corner of the room sat a boy, his knees raised to his chest as he hugged them trying to look as small as possible. If he said nothing they wouldn't see him right, they'd just skip over him, forget about him. What if he said something, what if he screamed at the top of his lungs, would someone come for him, would someone help him and the rest of the children who were sat there in fear, shaking.

Saying something would be stupid he thought, they had warned them not to make any noise. Should he have taken the chance though, should he have risked getting noticed, getting beaten, becoming the first to get sold off. He was conflicted, he knew that there was only a slight chance of someone coming to help him compared to the chance of only getting himself in trouble but his mother had always told him that good things happen to the ones who behave and bad things happen to the ones who didn't. Karma is what she had called it. He's behaved all his life though, always doing what he was told, never making a fuss yet nothing good had ever happened to him. Was he not well behaved enough or was his mother lying, maybe there was no such thing as karma.

Tears made their way down his face but he didn't try to stop them. He was cold and scared and even if he was surrounded by dozens of other children in the same predicament he still felt alone. He missed his mum, the only thing was he wasn't sure if she missed him back.

He tried to erase those thoughts from his head failing miserably. Soon enough it was dark outside, he could tell from the tiny streak of moonlight coming from the barred window which was way to high to even see through. He wasn't sure how long exactly he'd been stuck in the warehouse for, a couple hours, maybe eight, it didn't matter though. The only thing that mattered now was getting out before he was sold to who knows where. Knowing he couldn't make a plan in the current state he was in he closed his eyes and let the rhythm of his tears hitting the floor slowly lull him to sleep.

____

He was awoken to the screaming of a little girl. He opened his eyes, the sleep in them immediately disappearing as he witnessed the girl beside him getting dragged away.

She was way smaller than the man taking her but she was putting up a good fight regardless, wriggling and squirming but there was only so much a kid could do when they were only being fed the bare minimum and couldn't use their quirks. Eventually the girl used up most of her energy and the man seeing his chance hit her across the head instantly knocking her out.

Nobody said a word, too afraid of being put in that same position. The girl was dragged away by her hair leaving a trail of blood as she went. Everyone was distressed and the smell of iron only made it worse as one kid started to gag and soon enough everyone was either crying or shaking in fear of the future to come.

It took a while for the crying to die down, it didn't really stop until one of the men was forced to shoot a bullet into the roof immediately shutting everyone up.

And that's how life went on for a while, the repeated cycle of being fed the bare minimum trapped in this warehouse, one person being dragged away in the middle of the night when they were all sleeping. It was terrifying, waking up to see one person who was there before suddenly gone, and you never knew if that person was going to be you next. Every night they all prayed hoping that they'll wake up in the same state they went to sleep in,  but they all knew that would be them eventually. They had all already given up all hope of being rescued.

A room that used to be filled with dozens of children is now filled with just a few with no choice but to wait for the day they're dragged away. The boy in the corner of the room is getting worried now, he knows there's not much time left before that's him. He hadn't been able to form a plan yet, how could he when they were always trapped in the room with several men always standing outside to watch over them. Even when they wanted to go to the bathroom they were escorted by 3 men who wouldn't take their eyes off them for a second.