Chapter 17: Twin demons

(I don't own konosuba or any of the pictures here)

Today is best girl birthday!

The sun was already high up in the sky when I returned to the mansion

"Tadaima!"

I pushed the door and entered with a roar in a language no one really understands but wish they did.

...

"Huh? Ah Y/N, did they let you out, or did these idiots' rescuing plan actually worked?"

Kazuma, sitting on his knees near the fireplace, turned his head to greet me

"No never mind that, good thing you're back, you left me to take care of these problematic children all alone."

One of them sat right next to him with her hands practically inside the fireplace

Thinking back at it, Aqua must have been freezing after I left her hanging outside last night...

"Aqua I"

felt somewhat guilty about it

"Don't worry about that Y/N, everybody does mistakes. We of the Axis cult forgive anyone as long as their apology remains sincere- ah you should join our cause by the way. Would you care for a recruitment paper? I have plenty."

She got up and tied her pink hagoromo around her neck

Then jabbed her finger at you and opened her arms wide while saying this-

"What did you, what did you break? Hey I won't get mad if you tell me now, truly. I am even thankful for your efforts to rescue me so should I brace myself before heading into my room or something?"

I panicked after seeing Aqua's goddess-like reaction

"Ah, before I forget, Y\N won't believe this! The reward we were supposed to get for cleansing that dungeon and solving the turmoil, the guild staff denied it! They didn't know a thing about a quest that never existed in the first place, that thief girl must have gotten all the money to herself"

"Don't tell me you broke into a fight about the difference between lettuce and cabbage with Luna again!"

! I knew something was off the moment I laid my divine eyes upon her"

"Why are you so loud all of a sudden? It's still early you know"

Accompanying some light footsteps came a girl in a witch attire

Her small hands were rubbing her tired eyes which had eyebags around them;

Was it from using Explosion as a decoy last night?

"I have been looking for you the whole morning criminal Loli! How could you betray the path of explosions like that?"

My face relaxed into a smile and I approached Megumin

"Nyaa"

. . .

"Megumin..."

"Yes..."