26

1 month later

I stand there as Natasha comes closer to me, her guard down but I recently discovered how I can feel what people are feeling, thanks to Nooroo. I feel that she is tense, and came in here ok with the fact that she might die. That she has accepted her death.

I roll my eyes at her and say, "I'm not gonna hurt you. You're all acting like I'm gonna loose it again. I'm not. I'll be fine. Whatever. I promise I won't kill you Nat. That's only happened the one time." She narrows her eyes at me, and suddenly chucks a knife at me. I sigh as the boredom sets in again, for the hundredth time since I have been here.

The knife hits me and bends, falling to the ground like a piece of scrap metal. I pick it up and fix it, then gently lay it on the ground, taking a few steps back so then she can get it.

Out of no where, she begins to call me names, which none of them have done before. "Pig, jerk, loner, weird," she continues on, and I let the disguise fall, showing my true self -which I rarely do. She moves onto bigger insults, and says, "Why are you here? Why don't you just leave? That's what everyone else wants." They keep on coming like rapid fire, and I back into a corner, tearing up.

"Stop." I whisper, but she doesn't hear me. I keep my guard down, but she keeps on spitting insults at me like venom, rapid fire with pain. "Don't. Please. Stop." I say louder, my voice cracking. She walks closer and closer, the insults continuing.

I can tell she is completely ignoring me, and is doing a drill. As if she was told to ignore me -well more like what I say- and gets closer and closer. "No one loves you. You don't deserve it. It would be so much better if you just died." My face goes blank at her words, them being basically the exact same thing the class told me every single day.

I let the silent tears fall, and I say in a cold, clear voice, "Ok." She stops walking forward, and looks at me, confused, relaxing. "Oh, come on. You know it is just a drill." I hear someone in her ear piece say, "don't drop the act." She takes a step forward, and I press myself even closer into the corner.

I say in a hurt flat tone, "I guess you aren't any different from anyone else in my life. The only person on my side is Tony and you don't even let me see him. He's my father. The person I care about the most. And you aren't even letting me hear anything about him."

I sink to the ground, going into fetal position and wrapping my wings around myself, creating my own little world. I begin to silently cry, and I hear rain pouring down on the roof. I wish that I could go back, that I could take back what I did, and that I never ran away. Never got into this mess. I should have stayed in Paris, and continued the life that I had.

Even though I had no one, it was better than this. Not being allowed to see the one person I have, being used as a toy, being trained constantly, never having a break, being feared. I have killed people. I killed someone famous, and someone I used to love. Someone that was my partner in crime and was always on my side.

I begin to cry harder, and lightning strikes outside. I realize that I have to calm down, otherwise a lot of people will get hurt. I allow myself 5 more seconds or weakness, of crying, of being me, then I shut it off. It is as if I flipped a switch.

I still feel all of the pain, the guilt, the sorrow, but I keep it in. I don't let myself show the emotion, and I just keep my face blank. I feel a hand on my wing, and I unwrap myself, seeing that it is still Nat. She places her hand on her ear, and says, "She is just a child. We need to let her go." I hear from the other side several voices of protest and hate, saying that I am a weapon and am too dangerous to be set free.

I shake my head no and answer with, "I'm choosing to be here. I can leave at anytime. I want help, I want to be on the good side. I'm sorry I freaked out. I need to learn how to control myself better." She just shakes her head no, and says, "You need time to be human. Be a kid. I'll take you out today. Create a disguise that doesn't really look like you, and we can go hang. We can have some of the shield follow us so then they feel ok, but we need girl time. Alright?"

I shake my head yes, and I stand up, letting the knee disguise wash over me. I have long blonde hair, and chocolate brown eyes. I'm wearing simple make up, along with a loose long sleeved black shirt.

My pants are dark blue jeans, and my shoes are black heels. I stand up, and ask, "Is this good?" She nods, and asks, "What about your name?" I think for a second, then say, "Addison Romanoff. I'm your younger cousin." She nods, and slightly smirks.

"Alright then. But you have to carry a knife or a gun on you at all times if we are related." I roll my eyes and pull up my sleeve, revealing a knife that has a piece of cloth tying it to my arm. I lift up my other sleeve, and show a gun.

"That good for you?" I ask, and she nods. "Alright let me go change then I'll come and get you."  I say ok, and within 10 minutes she comes back and is in a similar outfit, just instead a white shirt and light blue jeans. Her shoes are white tennis shoes, and her hair is straightened.

She comes up to me, and says, "Let's go." We head out the door, and down several long hallways and up several floors. Once I see the outside window, I get excited; I haven't been outside in a month.

I step through the sliding glass doors, and take in a deep breath, filling my lungs with the New York air.