Prologue- Pulling a Possessed Blue

Princess Dragonfly loved helping dragons. Sometimes it was slipping scales into the talons of poor dragons, or getting things down from bookshelves for dragonets who didn't know how to fly yet. Once she had even saved a young visiting SilkWing from falling off a hive. But right now, for some reason she was awfully suspicious that someone was trying to poison her.

"Does this not smell funny to you?" She asked her sister, Beetle.

"It smells fine, Dragonfly." Beetle said, exasperated.

"Are you going to tell me this greenish powder is wasabi?"

"We are literally eating spicy tuna rolls. Should I remind you how they make it spicy?"

"Good point." Dragonfly shrugged and decided to just eat her food. It did look delicious. The wasabi stuff definitely did not taste like wasabi. She gagged. "This is not wasabi."

Beetle reached for her plate and studied it. "Dragonfly. It's fine. Stop freaking out."

Except it was literally impossible to stop freaking out because SOMEONE WAS TRYING TO POISON HER. She had already eaten enough for it to do its job. The HiveWing started panicking. Dragonfly chugged her water. Beetle was evidently tempted to repeatedly chant, "Chug!" but it would have made things pretty awkward. Dragonfly ransacked her brain for reasons someone might want to kill her, but she couldn't think of any. Except one... no, she and Beetle got along really well, and Beetle didn't even want the throne. There was no way she'd try to kill her... but you don't always know a dragon. Had their bond been a lie to keep Dragonfly's trust? She panicked even more. "I... I think I'm gonna go to bed."

Beetle looked at her with genuine concern. "Are you okay?"

Dragonfly nodded. "Just tired." She replied. She walked to her chambers and lay down in her bed. She lay there for hours, and finally, sleep came. She was having an interesting dream.

Dragonfly was chasing a green dragonfly through a cave. It had a few hints of red as well. It was so hard to catch. Just when she thought she had it, it slipped out of her claws. The nine-thousandth time that happened, Dragonfly fell flat on her face. By the time she got up, it was gone. Dragonfly growled in frustration. "Where did it go?!" She caught sight of a glimmer of red-green out the corner of her eye. "Aha!" She turned and ran after it. At this point, the cave was nothing but a white space of nothing. The dragonfly disappeared. A second later, a pair of eyes the same color as the dragonfly appeared. "Hello, dragonet." Said... the eyes??? "We are going to do great things together."

Dragonfly's entire body tensed. Her claws shredded one of her sheets. But she hadn't meant to do it. She stood up. Against her will. Someone knocked on the door. "Dragonfly?"

Beetle! Dragonfly tried to walk to the door, or at least say, "Please get in here!" But she didn't control her body anymore. Whatever was in her walked to the door. She opened it. Dragonfly discovered that she could still move her eyes a little bit. "Dragonfly, I heard you grunting all night." Beetle studied her.

"You will leave, or you will die." The thing said through her mouth. Beetle looked her in the eye, then her eyes went wide. She took something out of a jar and placed it on Dragonfly's talon. It crawled on her for a moment, then a burning agony surged through her arm. The thing inside her screamed, and she still would have without it. And then... it left. Dragonfly collapsed to the ground. She hadn't been using her own body to stand, so without the thing she wouldn't have been standing. "Are you okay?" Beetle asked. Dragonfly looked up at her, tears in her eyes. "No! I'm not okay! There's a thing inside me! It controls me! It moves with my body, and-and talks with my mouth, and none of it is me! What if it uses me to hurt someone?"

Beetle looked at the ground. "It probably will." She looked back at Dragonfly. "I've read about this. The thing controlling you is a plant called The Breath of Evil. Is there anywhere you can control?"

"My eyes, but only a little."

"I could see the panic in them, and I knew something wasn't right. I'm sorry I convinced you your food was fine. Clearly it wasn't." They both chuckled. "How's the pain?"

Dragonfly focused on her arm. "It still really hurts."

"Good. So we have some time before it's back."

"How do we get it out for good?"

"No one knows."

With this, Dragonfly panicked even more. "So we can't get it out?!"

"I'm afraid not." Beetle said.

"You have to find a cure!" Beetle was going to say something, and Dragonfly knew what it was. Assuming there is one. Tears fell down Dragonfly's face. Beetle hugged her, and shed a few tears of her own. They sat like that for hours, until the pain of the sting finally wore off. "Uh-oh." Dragonfly said. Just then, she snapped up against her will. "You are not to tell a soul about me, or I will kill your family before I kill you. I'll kill your mother either way. I have plans for your tribe."

*Cringes*