OH NO BETRAYAL

When Leafspeaker finally woke up, she had quite evidently missed something. Also she had slept until noon. Juniper and Amanita were chatting with Delta and Violet. Pyrrhia was staring at a slip of paper and fiddling with her earring.

"What are you doing without me?" Leafspeaker asked.

Everyone turned to her. "Just chatting, nothing exciting." Amanita said. "Im'a grab a snack." So she wandered off to the kitchens.

"I'm assuming the bright one is Pyrrhia?"

Everyone nodded. Leafspeaker proceeded to kick up small talk. "So... how did you meet Pyrrhia, anyways?" She asked Violet.

"Our parents were friends, and I was there when she hatched."

"You've known her her whole life?"

"Yup. There for her hatching, there for all the holidays, there for most of the regular days, there for her metamorphosis, there for every Chrysalis meeting."

"Wow." Leafspeaker looked at Pyrrhia. "Now that is commitment."

They both chuckled. "We've been close since she hatched, but when we had to take her in, we were never apart for too long." Violet said.

"Why did you have to take her in?" Leafspeaker asked

"Her parents went missing when she was one."

"Ah. I know how that is. My father died before I hatched, my mother died two years after, and my stepfather didn't take long to leave."

"It's one thing when your family dies. It's quite another when they choose to leave."

Leafspeaker stood up and her knees cracked. "Speaking of leaving, what is taking Amanita so long?" So she went to the kitchens to check on her. But they were completely empty.

"Amanita? You know I hate it when you do this!" No response. Out of literally nowhere, something grabbed her and... pulled her into the ground? She went through several levels of floor before emerging in the room where it happened(Please tell me someone understood that reference). All the events of last night.

Are we seriously back here?

As soon as Leafspeaker's talons touched the ground, metal bands appeared on her wrists and ankles, then rapidly grew chains that attached to the ground.

Chained across from her was Amanita, then next to her was the NightWing, his face covered in burns. "Well, well, well." He said. "If it isn't the friend of the one who betrayed me."

"What do you mean?"

"Would you believe me if I told you that Amanita was sent to bring you- and all your little Dragonet of Destiny friends- to me? But then she got a little attached to you all. So last night, she comes in and steals my prisoners. Then she says she'll protect you if it cost her her life."

Leafspeaker was shocked. "But- how could-" she looked to Amanita. "He's lying, isn't he?"

Amanita wouldn't meet her eyes. "It was my original plan to capture everyone in the prophecy for him. I had a solid plan. I told Frostblood that she could leave and find the Ice Kingdom. I was waiting for her in the trees, magically disguised as a HiveWing. I intentionally left some of her blood on the ground to distract Juniper into holding still for a moment so I could hit her with a paralysis dart.

"When I was on my way to Beetle Hive, I gave her to a HiveWing that looked like the one I was disguised as, and came back to talk to you. I was luring you into the Hive. Our plan was to gain your trust so I could pull that one off."

Leafspeaker couldn't believe this, but somehow, she wasn't mad. The only thing she felt was shock. "How didn't I hear that in your mind?"

"More magic. It's a multipurpose enchantment."

The NightWing interrupted. "If you're quite done confessing, I need a new accomplice, since this one clearly failed me. And I think you, hybrid, would be great for the job."

"Never." Leafspeaker said.

"Oh, you need further persuasion?" The NightWing smirked, then put a talon on Amanita's face. "I enchant this dragon to obey my every command." He whispered. "Now claw yourself to death. Slowly."

Amanita's claws rose toward her shoulder and stabbed into it. Blood dripped out. All Leafspeaker could do was watch. The pale green LeafWing pulled her claws out of her shoulder and stabbed them slightly higher, then pulled them down.

"How about now?"

Leafspeaker shook her head.

Amanita continued slicing at her scales until Leafspeaker finally gave up.

"Alright! I will, just tell her to stop!"

"Leafspeaker, don't-"

"Shut up." The NightWing said to Amanita. The LeafWing's snout snapped shut. "As for you, hybrid, I need you to bring me the Dragonets of Destiny as well as the bright Flamesilk and the SeaWing."

Delta.

Leafspeaker nodded.

The chains that bound her to the floor disappeared, but the metal bands on her wrists and ankles stayed. Then, she was transported back to the kitchen.

. . .

Later that night, when everyone was asleep, Leafspeaker figured out how to get everyone to the NightWing. She put Juniper and Frostblood on her back and dragged Pyrrhia and Delta. The hybrid pointlessly went through the trouble of getting them to the NightWing's base. He looked at her approvingly. It made Leafspeaker sick to see Amanita slowly clawing at her own scales.

"Secure them." The NightWing said. "Then get the others. Put these on the Flamesilk." He held out a pair of adamantine wristbands that had an enchanted aura. Leafspeaker did as she was told. "I may need assistance while... retrieving the others."

"Very well." He went over to Amanita. "I enchant this dragon to fully become a female RainWing named Ocelot with the ability to teleport alongside normal RainWing abilities, as well as obey my or Leafspeaker's every command. She will have no memories of being Amanita, and will not change back if Leafspeaker says to. She will also be very good at coming up with plans."

Amanita's scales shifted until she took the form of a RainWing.

At least it was better than knowing the LeafWing was slowly mauling herself to death.

. . .

Sure, Ocelot was very agreeable, but that was exactly what was wrong. It was disturbing. Leafspeaker was glad to have a short break from her as she was leading the Dragonets for a "search and rescue expedition." Leafspeaker had told the "RainWing" to fire a sleeping dart at each of the Dragonets as soon as they passed. And, wouldn't you know it, they were unconscious on the ground in seconds.

"Good work." Leafspeaker said. "Now could you teleport all of these dragons back to the NightWing?"

"Yes, master." Ocelot transported all the Dragonets.

Master.

She shuddered, when a realization hit. Two Dragonets were missing.

Lily and Cove.

She hoped the NightWing wouldn't notice. And he apparently didn't, as far as the hybrid could tell.

"Sir? I've been meaning to ask. Who even are you?" Leafspeaker asked the NightWing.

"Are you sure you want to know?" He replied.

"Yes."

"My name is Morrowstalker."