Chapter 9

Josuke sat down at the table, staring down at the ground. Okuyasu broke a cold sweat, his breathing getting harder the longer they sat down. A silence filled the room. All they could hear was the clock slowly ticking the minutes away while they got more and more panicked. Tomoko calmly stared at the two, loudly sipping the coffee in her cup. She finished it, and placed it on the table.

"Well? I'm waiting."

Josuke gulped. He heard his mom sigh defeatedly in front of him. She shrugged.

"Well then, if you two aren't going to say anything, I guess I have to."

She leaned forward, her elbows resting on the table; fingers interlocked. Neither of them made eye contact with her as she stared intensely at the pair.

"I heard everything. So you might as well come clean."

Josuke felt like he was going to pass out. Silence. Neither said a word as his mom continued to stare at him, then to Okuyasu. She sighed again.

"Look, I'm not mad Josuke. I really don't care what you do in your spare time or whatever. You're an adult now. You turned eighteen two months ago."

She leaned back in her seat, sighing once more. Her arms were folded in front of her.

"I'm just...disappointed, that's all. Not about your sexuality, I really couldn't care less who you decided to do...that, with. But-"

Josuke looked up at his mother, who calmly continued.

"-you're not going to make this a regular thing. If you want to do something like that, you're going to have to do it somewhere else. Or at least, be quiet about it."

Josuke felt his heart sink. Okuyasu was gripping onto his sweatpants tightly, looking down at the floor. He thought he was going to throw up.

"Josuke, listen to me."

He couldn't look at her face anymore.

"I'm happy you found someone special, I really am!"

He didn't believe her.

"I just...could you please not do that while I'm at home? My son going to town on someone is the last thing I want to hear. My sleep schedule is already messed up as it is."

Josuke didn't respond. Tomoko sighed again, pinching the bridge of her nose with her forefinger and thumb.

"Look, Josuke, I'm going to be honest with you. I always suspected that you were a little...different, but, I was okay with that."

She placed her hands on the table, smiled weakly at him.

"You're my son. I will always care about you, no matter what."

He heard his mom sigh again, shakily.

"I just...I just need some time to process this, alright?"

Josuke looked up at his mom. He knew she was trying hard to look tough, but she was on the verge of tears.

"Mom, I-"

"Please tell your friend to pack his things. He should go back home now."

Tomoko got up and started walking back to her room.

"DORA!"

Josuke's mother stood motionless. Crazy Diamond's fist had rammed into the back of her head and out the front, shattering Tomoko's beautiful face. Josuke's stand slowly pulled its arm out of the tunnel made in Tomoko's skull. Okuyasu stared at the scene in horror as the skull reconstructed itself, chunks of brain slowly moving back inside. The blood was the last to enter her head. Then her hair, eyes, and nose reconstructed itself. Josuke gently lowered his mother onto the ground. She was unconscious.

Okuyasu stared at Josuke in disbelief.

"W-What the hell did you do Josuke?!"