Chapter 15

Tomoko pulled her son into an even tighter embrace. Josuke stood there as his mom started crying, then full out sobbing. Her nails dug into her son's back, her head buried in his chest. After some time of this, she pulled away from him, her eyes were red and puffy. Josuke didn't know what was going on.

"I'm sorry mom, I won't stay out late again I promise-"

"No.."

Tomoko wiped the tears from her eyes. She sighed shakily.

"...that's not why I am upset. I just..."

She started crying again.

"...I just-I-"

She sniffed loudly, wiping her face with her sleeve again.

"I'm so sorry..."

Josuke felt extremely confused.

"About what..? What's wrong?"

The tears wouldn't stop flowing, no matter how many she wiped away, they kept on coming. Josuke felt like his heart was going to break. His mother was a strong woman, whatever she was this upset about must have affected her deeply.

"...I've been a bad mother, haven't I?"

Josuke was taken aback by this question.

"What? No, of course not mom-"

"Don't sugarcoat it Josuke."

She sighed again, averting her gaze from her son.

"I...I woke up this morning, and I remembered something..."

Josuke's heart skipped a beat.

"I, I can't really remember why I made you guys sit down, but...I know that you and your friend were extremely upset when I said something..."

Josuke felt his stomach turn again.

"...and I even told him to leave! What is wrong with me?"

She placed her head in her hands, sobbing. She moved her hands on to her forehead, tears now dripping onto the floor.

"And-and now I never see you! It's like I made you hate me-"

"Mom, please, I don't hate you-"

"Then why are you avoiding me?!"

Josuke backed away, stunned. Tomoko gasped and crumpled onto the floor defeatedly. Her sobbing grew louder and louder. Josuke bent down in front of his mom, hugging her tightly.

"I-I did something bad, probably because I am so stressed from work and bills but I-I know that you're a really good kid Josuke..."

"Mom, it's okay I promise..."

He pulled her up and tightly wrapped his arms around her tiny waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck, sobbing. After some time, they let go of each other.

"Can-can you at least tell me why I made you upset?"

Josuke's heart was pounding in his chest now. His hands shook a little.

"U-uh, maybe it's better if we don't talk about this-"

"Please."

Josuke looked at his mom. She looked miserable.

"Josuke, I really don't want to lose you too..."

She placed her arms in front of her, staring down at the ground. Josuke didn't know if he should tell her or not. It was a surprise that she even remembered what happened, since Crazy Diamond usually doesn't do a half baked job. Then again, he wasn't thinking that clearly when he used it on her.

"You know Josuke, when your father left..."

Josuke looked up towards her.

"...it was like someone left a giant hole in my heart. I just... it hurt so much when he walked away..."

Josuke felt a pang of guilt twinge through him.

"...then your grandpa died 3 years ago..."

Josuke remembered how much it hurt him too. He wanted to cry just thinking about his grandpa's goofy smile. He would never forgive Angelo for what he did.

"...and it was just the two of us. I promised myself I wouldn't lose you too..."

Josuke looked away from his mother. She sighed.

"So please...tell me what I did wrong, tell me what I did to make you so upset that you would not speak for days on end to me, where you only retreat to your room whenever you see me."

She looked up from the ground.

"So please, just tell me why! I promise I won't be angry this time, no matter what it is"

Josuke was shocked that his mother was so determined. She has always been a bit of a hardass, but recently...she's been a lot softer around him. It all started to make sense now. He looked down at the floor nervously.

"Well, I uh, I am currently dating someone..."

Tomoko smiled, her eyes lighting up.

"That's great! You should bring her home sometime!"

Josuke chuckled nervously.

"It's uh, it's not a girl..."

Tomoko tilted her head, puzzled.

"What do you mean? Who is it then?"

Josuke's heart was in his throat at this point.

"It's Okuyasu. We've been dating for about 3 months now."

Tomoko sat there in silence, thinking about what her son just said. Suddenly, it all clicked.

"Oooooh."

Josuke looked at his mothers face. She was sitting crossed legged, staring off into the distance blankly. She nodded knowledgeably, placing her head on her hand.

"Well, I mean it makes sense, you've never really been interested in any of the girls that are constantly around you."

Josuke chuckled nervously. Tomoko smiled.

"Was I really that upset about that? It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you're happy."

Josuke felt like he was going to cry. He smiled weakly at his mother, who gave him a big hug.

"I'm glad we're all honest with ourselves now. Be sure to wear a condom and all that."

Josuke blushed profusely

"M-mom!"

"You're a teenage boy Josuke, so I know damn well you two did something at least. Please don't let me hear it though, it would be awkward for the both of us."

Josuke looked away nervously.

Oh trust me, you have no idea.

"Yup haha."

She punched his shoulder playfully, smiling.

"Now go eat dinner and get ready for bed. You have exams tomorrow."

He awkwardly gave his mother a kiss on the cheek, before doing what she asked of him.