54

LEAH

The moment James turned into the driveway, my heart hitched into my throat. I noticed him glance at me from the corner of my eye.

The A-frame was just as quaint and assuming as I remembered.

Any passerby would only find it charming, never aware of the darkness and secrets manifested within those walls.

Memories long settled now floated to my mind's surface.

I remembered the overwhelming feeling as I threw open that wooden front door and charged into the unknown on bare feet.

I imagined how I must have looked—sprinting past the Tesla and charging down the road.

Running as if my life depended on it. Hoping Jarrod was still down. Praying I could stay ahead of him.

"Leah."

Swallowing, my face snapped to James. His emerald eyes were gentle as they searched mine for any sign of doubt.

"We don't have to do this," he reminded me. "You've already been through a lot today."

Visiting Tiffany was more jolting than I'd expected. Even so, I didn't regret it. I got what I wanted from her and I would be content to never see her face again.

She was certified batshit crazy.

I didn't know why part of me felt guilty or, in the least, bad for her. She did a list of terrible things to me.

Maybe it was because we fell in love with the same Muller brother and were both left broken by him.

The only difference was that I got over Jarrod enough to move on with my life. She hadn't yet and possibly never would.

For that reason, I pitied her.

"I'm doing this," I grumbled, mostly to myself.

James nodded and shut the car off.

Once we stepped out, the front door opened and a short older man dressed in khaki shorts and a t-shirt stepped out.

"John," greeted James.

"Good to see you again, James," the man said.

We approached him and James wrapped an arm around my waist. I smiled a bit at his possessiveness, trying to fight my blush.

"This is Leah," James introduced us.

"Nice to meet you." John extended a hand toward me. His handshake was firm and sweaty.

I tried to discreetly wipe my hand on my jeans.

"You too," I said. My words sounded a little breathy as I remembered why we were here.

"Well, why don't you two come on in?" John led us into the house.

A masculine musk, like cologne, assaulted me while we stepped inside.

My eyes darted about. I couldn't help but compare everything to what I could remember from my memories.