28

LEAH

The day dragged on for what felt like forever.

I felt punished and relieved by James' absence. He spent nearly the entire day in his office.

Twice, I forced myself to check on him for lunch and mid-afternoon coffee. He declined both.

I tried not to be worried about him, but he seemed perfectly fine otherwise. The checklist we worked on together throughout the day quickly dwindled. He responded any time I knocked or initiated a conversation.

But I knew.

I knew he wanted me to relent and was upset that I wouldn't.

And unfortunately, part of me ached to surrender. I was tormented by my rational mind and carnal desire.

With every urge, I reminded myself that this was for both of our benefits. Anything more than professionalism between us would be inappropriate.

I should have just stayed away. I should have shredded that damn invitation and forgotten all about the Muller family.

But I didn't. Why didn't I?

I had so many chances to escape this. I could have ignored the invitation, rejected the job offer, or refused to move in with him.

So why did I instead choose to put myself in this position?

Something about the invitation and the memorial service felt like a wake-up call. I already knew I needed to find some closure and change my life. I wasn't happy. I was just surviving. This just happened to be a way out. Or so I told myself.

At five o'clock exactly, I shouldered my briefcase and strode out of the conference room. I paused outside James' office but decided the closed door was a sign. After I put away my work things, I changed into sweatpants and a tank top with a sweatshirt.

Julia's voice carried down the hall and I realized I would have to say goodbye. Though I was reluctant to admit it, I hoped she would still be here when I returned. It was nice having another presence in the house, one extra barrier to keep between James and me.

Making sure I had everything I would need for the next two days, I grabbed my purse and weekender bag. As I passed the living room, I noticed a figure by the window.

Julia stared out at the forest. In her arms, purring contentedly, lay Foxy. The wisp of Julia's voice attracted my focus. She seemed to be chattering away on the phone. Her voice was just low enough to muffle her words.

However, as I looked more closely at her, I realized her arms were both filled with my cat. Neither did I spot earbuds in her ears. She wasn't speaking to anyone. She was simply . . . talking.

"She's blogging poetry," rumbled a throaty voice from behind me.

Just the sound of it so close to me made my panties wet.

I startled with a jump and did an about-face. James smiled a little, folding his hands behind his back. His gaze made a show of surveying my two bags. It felt like I had ten boxes at my feet from the weight of his scrutiny.

"I see," I remarked, glancing at his sister and hoping to put off this conversation. "Foxy seems to be a fan."

He shrugged. "Your cat is easily amused. So, are you leaving now?"

I smiled faintly. Always so direct.

Nodding, I lifted my purse and tugged at my tote where it hung at my ankles. "Guess so. I have a good little drive ahead of me."