56

LEAH

I dreaded this housewarming party all day.

The thought of putting on a face for other people after already being so emotionally drained sounded awful. Fortunately, that dreadful icky feeling changed as soon as I heard my friends' voices.

I felt like I entered some alternate reality. Another universe where my two worlds—one for James and one for everyone else—were colliding. I had no idea how James, my lone wolf, would handle their chaotic energy and general insanity.

Isabelle herself was a lot to take in, and the last few times they met, she was mostly contained. There was nothing to stop her and Ryan from overwhelming poor James.

Nevertheless, the night seemed to already be going better than I expected. I sipped on my seltzer and peeked across the living room.

James was still speaking with Ryan, who seemed completely enchanted.

Like seriously, when did he become so obsessed with building a house?

Ryan nodded while he intently listened to every word the man said. He was gobbling that shit up.

"I'm thinking about taking a break from dating," Isabelle grumbled beside me.

I arched a brow at her. "Really?"

"I think it's time, don't you?" she said, her smile sheepish.

"I don't know. I mean, I think everyone has to move on their own time," I said. "Being single can be great."

"Leah, babe. I know I can never apologize enough about what happened with Tim," she told me. "If I'd known his intentions—"

"You don't have to apologize," I cut her off, wrapping my hand around hers. "Seriously, Iz. It wasn't your fault. Neither of us could have known he would do that."

"I just feel terrible," she cried. "You're my girl and I treated you like shit. I let this psycho near you and treated him like a fucking god. What the hell is wrong with me?"

"Don't even think that!" I yelled, latching onto her in a bear hug. "There's nothing wrong with you. I hold nothing against you. I never could. I love you too much."

She shuddered in my arms.

"Thank you," she whispered. Then she pulled back to fix her hair. "So, yeah. I think I'm going to forgo all forms of men. Who knows? Maybe I'll get in with the ladies."

I snorted and she laughed with me.

Both boys looked up at us, both of whom were ignored.

The doorbell chimed, sparing us from having to explain ourselves.

"Excuse me," James said. He rose from the sofa and headed toward the door.

"Ooo," Isabelle purred. "Who else is coming?"

"No one fun," I said, thinking of the dreaded guests that haunted me all day. "Oh, except for Julia. I think you and Julia will get on pretty well."

She smirked. "Why's that? She hot too?"

Rolling my eyes, I laughed. "Sure. She's about as wild as you are, too."

"A match made in Heaven!" Isabelle said excitedly.

A figure appeared in the doorway of the living room. I recognized Julia's tall, bony figure even before I saw her face.

She smiled almost shyly.

"Hey Julia," I greeted her, standing up.

She visited their parents for a few weeks, so seeing her again felt refreshing.