31

JAMES

"Mind if I take the Tesla out?"

I looked up from my laptop, eyes slowly coming into focus after the blue light fixation, as I countered, "Why?"

"Um, because my rental is lame," Julia groaned, forcing her lips into a pout. "I've got a date with a CEO tonight and I don't want to look like a gold digger."

"Are you after his money?"

"Duh."

"Then it doesn't matter what you drive, dear sister."

"Some men don't care what a girl's intentions are so long as she has a nice ass, darling brother."

I raised a brow. "If it's an ass they're after, you'll be even more penniless than you are now."

She tried to scowl but ended up laughing instead. "I have a great ass—not that it's any of your business! Better than your scrawny toosh, at any rate. Anyway, can I take it or not?"

"No."

"Pleaseeeeee."

"No."

"Why do you hate me?"

"Don't expect grown-up benefits when you have a childish attitude."

She barked out a single dry laugh. "You sound just like Mother."

"Well, she is an adult."

"So am I!" she insisted, stomping her foot.

When I made no motion to placate her, Julia huffed indignantly and marched out of my office. I listened to the retreat of her feet down each step until she reached the bottom floor. Only then did I relax and focus back on my computer.

Much of my work lately has consisted of coordinating and communicating with the planning committee for the upcoming gala. The event was only a week away now and while most of the details were settled, there were always a hundred last-minute details to sort. We'd sold three-quarters of the seats and had arranged for a live band and a comedian to keep our guests entertained and generous. The Foundation would be swimming after this event, assuming all went to plan with minimal hitches.

After a few minutes, I realized I was staring at an empty inbox. I closed my laptop and sat back in the chair with a sigh. I didn't enjoy working on Sundays, but Julia wasn't the company I wanted and the woman who was would rather be anywhere else but here.

I headed down to my bedroom, disturbed by the silence of my home. Although the space was quiet before Leah moved in, the silence felt more eerie than serene. Even as a man of solitude, I no longer wanted to be left alone with my thoughts.

Once I'd traded my lounge clothes for gym shorts and a thin, long-sleeved tee, I strapped a phone armband to my bicep. With the end of November nearing, the weather was beginning to reflect cooler temperatures. Soon, there would be ice and snow. I was grateful at least not to be in New York where the weather would be much worse already.

Sun rays penetrated through the thin air as I stepped outside. I practiced a few breathing techniques and stretched my legs. When I was ready, I started down one of the marked trails. My breath came out in humid puffs, a familiar burn settling into my lungs.

My body and instincts took over the further I moved along the trail while my thoughts drifted. I wondered about my parents and how they were, about Julia's future and whether she'd ever fall in love again or have a family of her own. Although the pain and tragedy in my life had taught me better than to ponder what-ifs, I couldn't help but imagine how my sister's life would be if she had delivered a healthy baby girl.