36

LEAH

An unfamiliar alarm startled me awake. I rolled over and reached out to grab the source of the noise. My hand collided with something warm and soft.

Flinging myself upright, I opened my eyes. James smirked sleepily as he shut off his phone. His thick hair stuck out in a thousand directions, some of it matting to his forehead. The green in his devious eyes simmered. Fuck, he was sexy.

I shook my head and threw off the covers.

"Good morning to you too. Where are you off to so fast?" he burbled in a sleepy voice.

"It's time for work," I reminded him.

"We can do that from bed."

My gaze shot back to him in disbelief. Shrugging, he peeled the covers off his lean body. His muscles shifted and stretched with each deliberate movement. I cleared my throat and left the room.

After I did my morning routine and dressed in jeans and a work blouse, I returned to James. He was tapping away on his cell phone.

"Ready?" I checked with him.

"Mhm." He ran his warm man-paws on my arms as I moved him from the bed to the wheelchair. "The committee emailed me. They need me to do a walkthrough of the venue. Everything is set up."

The gala! I stopped rolling him toward his bathroom and stepped into his line of sight.

"We aren't canceling? Or at least postponing?" I asked.

"No. Why would we? The Foundation needs the money."

"Uh, maybe because you're handicapped. How are you going to get around?"

He smiled and my belly burst into dance. "Same way I am now, darling."

"You want me to push you around all night?"

"Well, someone else can push me around, but I expect you to be with me for the evening's entirety anyway."

My throat tightened. "What about dates?"

"What about them?"

"Aren't you bringing someone? That might complicate your wheelchair situation."

"I am bringing someone. Fortunately, she already knows how to deal with a crippled me."

My cheeks flushed. "What if I wanted to bring someone?"

His face went stony for a moment until he washed it away, throwing up an eyebrow. "Such as whom?"

"Isabelle. She wants to come."

The hardness in his face relaxed and my shoulders softened a little. He motions to the sink so I roll him forward.

"Your friend can come," he said. "She doesn't even have to pay for a plate. However, you are my date. She can lone it out or bring someone if she wants."

"I think she has a guy in mind," I replied, trying to mask my smile.

Somehow, his permission had surpassed expectations. I thought he'd tell me 'no.' He still wanted my attention, it seemed, but he was letting me have my way.

"Toothbrush, please." His eyes were watching me in the mirror when I looked up.

Clearing my throat, I grabbed his supplies and let him brush his teeth. I wiped his face with a damp cloth after, and then we chose an outfit. He insisted on a button-up and black jeans.

"No one will see you," I reminded him. "Your meetings are all virtual."

He waved me off. "It's good for my ego. Will you grab my black socks?"