39

JAMES

Since the moment I heard I wouldn't be able to walk, I had never been so furious about my damned legs.

"You should have told me," I growled. "You should have told me about the note that day, Leah. How could you keep this a secret? That's obviously a threat!"

"I know, I know," she said, pushing her face into her hands. "I was trying not to blow the situation out of proportion, but I realize how stupid that is now."

"Where's my cell phone?" I said. My blood was boiling. I was fucking livid.

"I saw it on the island."

"Get it."

Her brows furrowed at the command.

"Please," I huffed. "It will take me ages to roll over there, get it, and make a call. I'll break my fucking legs trying to walk over there if you don't."

Rolling her eyes, she left the couch and vanished into the hall. She returned a few seconds later and handed me the device.

I called one of my PIs and asked her to do some research on security cameras near the apartment building. It was in the middle of Chattanooga, so at least one nearby building had to maintain surveillance. We just needed to hack the system to get the footage.

Leah slipped out while the investigator and I went back and forth, mostly me cursing her when she provided unhelpful information.

"What is the point of having a hacker on my payroll if you can't hack into a fucking convenience store camera system?" I snapped. "Call me when you have something."

I hung up and threw my cell on the couch.

"She went to her room," Julia said without looking up from her phone.

Still fuming, I wheeled out of the kitchen and down the hall in search of my troublesome nymph. As I neared the bedrooms, the roar of a running shower seeped under the door.

I was tempted to throw the thing open and barge into the bathroom. What good would that do right now?

Leah probably wanted her space, and I promised myself I would give it to her. Muttering obscenities, I diverted to my bedroom across the hall and wheeled myself over to the window.

My body quivered with pent-up anger.

Why didn't she tell me about the note earlier? How did she not think that was relevant? She must not have trusted me enough to tell me.

Not that I could do much to protect her, anyway, but my legs had been perfectly functional when we got back from New York. I could have already kicked this guy's tiny dick up his asshole by now if she'd been honest.

Now, I couldn't do jack shit.

These fucking legs. Completely useless.

After half an hour or so, Leah came to my room. I was still by the window and staring out into the black night.

My gaze ticked to her as she entered my periphery. She wore a pair of tiny, pink cotton shorts and a matching spaghetti-strap tank top. Her bare legs and soft arms were on full display, as well as her generous breasts straining against the rounded neckline.

I took a deep breath and forced my eyes to hers. Her lips curled down in a pout.

"Bath time," she spoke in a low rasp.

"We can do it in the morning," I offered. "You've been through enough tonight. I'm sure you're exhausted."

"You could say that, yeah."