Chapter 38 - Inferno

Stefano's POV

Rolling off the broken table, I hiss in pain. My vision is blurred, and my head is pounding, causing bile to rush into my mouth. I swallow it down and force my feet to support my weight. My hand remains steady on my abdomen as a slow flow of blood continues to be absorbed by the waistband of my pants. A cold sweat sweeps over my body, and shivers cause my muscles to twitch. Sealing my eyes shut, I inhale sharply, pushing myself to stay focused. Images of Jasmine violently handled have me animalist. My eyes snap open and lock on a manic Lim. He screeches on his hands and knees, attempting to veer from the snipper's scope. Tommy toying with him, continues to fire, grazing his flesh, injuring rather than going in for the kill. My brother respecting history allows me to be Lim's executioner.

I've always played fair, showed compassion to new fighters, and given my opponent an opportunity. I wanted to be the best and win victoriously, knowing my opponent gave it everything and still lost. I never wanted to win a fight on the sly. However, I'm no longer an underground fighter needing to prove myself. I'm Stefano Dante Morelli, and for the first time, I sense the beast shared by my father and brothers surfacing. I now understand Luciano Morelli's words, Raffaele's desires to slaughter, and Tommy's family loyalty. It's us against the world!

Sucking in a breath, I ball my hands into fists and storm towards my victim. My heart, constantly thrashing with rage, has adrenaline rushing through my veins. Lim's words on repeat have me frothing, and my features distort. Gritting my teeth, my anger erupts, and I lay a hard kick on Lim's side, knocking the air out of his lungs, halting his movements, and forcing him onto his back. "Get the fuck up!" my voice rockets.

Groaning, his eyes meet mine. He fails to mask the fear and panic, shining with a dirty grin. "You have a man on the trigger giving you confidence." His body trembles from the multiple bullet grazes. His petty blood loss is nothing compared to the rapid hemorrhaging of my stab wound. I'm reminded how weak he is! My last fight in this shithole plays to mind. Capozzi approached me to throw the fight in favor of Lim. I fell for the battling fighters' story and complied with the request. I didn't anticipate the cunt would have sand-filled gloves and allowed the first hits to connect.

Raising my hand, I signal Tommy to cease, fire. "All I need is my hands-free, not a snipper to give me confidence." Kicking his foot, I demand, "Stand to your fucking feet!"

Nostrils flaring, I take one calculated step back and inhale manically. I'm itching to lay into him. Never have I desired so passionately to be the reason a man takes his last breath. Evicting the clog in his throat, Lim procrastinates. Pushing himself off the ground, he stands reluctantly, his thoughts chaotic as he darts his eyes around trying to plan an exit. "there's no escape," I taunt, circling. "It all ends today. My wife and children are no one's victims." One step forward has me standing inches from his face. I easily stay composed even though every fiber is screaming to slaughter him. "I will burn every mother fucker who comes for them!" I froth savagely, my throat vibrating.

Sweat accumulating on his forehead has his black hair shining under the lights. Lowering his eyes, his breathing becomes heavy. He fully understands that he will be nothing but a distant and hateful memory in moments. No one is coming through those doors to save him; he's alone with no chance of beating me. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he raises them in surrender, "You got me! I'm at your mercy," he mocks.

Attempting to surprise me, he makes a poor effort to swing, but experience has me dodging and connecting a left punch to his ribs. My knuckles shoot pain, but It's not my first bare fistfight, and it won't be my last. I've grown to appreciate flesh splitting with every connection I make. Dying my knuckles red with my enemy's blood is satisfying. Keeping my eye steady on him, I look for fear as I bring my right and throw multiple jabs to his face, fracturing his left eye socket. Bruising forms instantly, and it doesn't take long before he's dazed.