Chapter 8 - Exposed

Stefano

Jasmine's breaths hitch. Uncertainty swims in her eyes. Biting the inside of her cheek, she sits on the sofa, waiting for me to go on. She's nervously fiddling with her hair, twirling that finger around, unsure as to my expectations.

For a man who had nothing and never hoped to, I started to dream when that flicker of light which is Jasmine, shined in my life. Never would I have imagined being the son of the Morelli's. I remember reading the newspaper headlines of the charity ball Eleonora Morelli would host for the children's hospital to honor her lost son. The media loved running the story annually. I thought to myself then, even tyrants aren't immune to the cruelty of life itself, and no amount of money could save their son.

How my life has changed, no longer walking the dark streets of New York alone. I no longer struggle financially. All that may have changed, but other concerns surfaced that I didn't have before or more like I wasn't unaware of. Training with Paul today made a difference. Strength and confidence will build along with the sharp and technical skills I need. I could have turned to my brothers, but I didn't. The reasons are simple; I don't want to fail, make a mistake in front of them, or disappoint.

With Paul, things are easy. He has no judgment and takes things slowly, presuming I know nothing about firearms, and honestly, it's what I need to start at the bottom and on my own to build myself up.

Pulling up my pants, I take a seat in front of Jaz, clasping my hands together unintentionally, my brow hikes. "I'm not stopping you from seeing your brother, but I will stop you from going alone and without me." She attempts to shake her head no, she hates the restrictions, and I don't blame her. She has always had the freedom to wander, which changed when I found out who I am. Narrowing my eyes, I affirm, "It's not negatable. Understood?"

Huffing, her head lowers, a word doesn't leave her lips, but I know what's going on in her head. "Your brother is a drug addict. I know you love him, and I know how you have felt over the last few years, but he needs help, and he will not come into that little girl's life or our home unless he's clean. Is that understood?"

Disheartened, she mumbles, "Since when does my fiancé make decisions without consulting me? Since when does my fiancé think he has the right to withhold a father's contact with his child?" Her saddened eyes flicker up to meet mine.

Gripping her thighs, my fingers dig into her flesh as I slide forward, and cage her legs between mine. "When did my fiancé stop trusting me?" I answer her question with one of my own. Biting her lip, she stays mute. "I promised you I would do everything to find your brother, and I delivered. I promised you I would get him help, and I delivered. I promised you we would ensure his safety, and we are delivering. Lastly, the moment I signed custody papers for that little girl is the moment I was given the right to make those decisions since her father is incapable."

With her eyes veering, I slide my hand up, fisting the side of her hair, forcing her to maintain eye contact. "Even if I took you and our son to some corner of this earth, I would not cease to be the lost Morelli, son. Other cunts will come for us eventually. At least here with them, you and our son are safe."

"And you get to walk around with a gun tucked into your pants and distributing the drugs my mother and brother grew an addiction to." Wrapping her fingers around my wrist and using a sarcastic tone, she says, "Understood, Mr. Morelli."

"Your mother's and brother's addictions are not on me, and I will carry a fucking gun, pulling that God damn trigger and killing anyone who threatens my family." My eyes don't falter. My name won't allow me to walk the streets unarmed. What she wants isn't an option.

"Where were you?" she questions, changing the subject and studying my eyes. "Is this how it's going to be from now on? No call, not even a text?"

Releasing my hold, I nod. "Certain hours of the day, I will be unreachable."