Chapter 39 - Shamefully

Stefano's POV

Struggling to open my eyes, tonight's events flood my mind. Instantly my blood boils. Rushed to the hospital, I demanded they seal my wound so I could leave and find Jaz and the kids. Instead, the boys held me down while I was sedated and taking in surgery. How long have I been out? Running my hand down to my abdomen, I feel the bandage protecting the stitches. I curse. Balling my hands into a fist, I push myself up and regret it instantly. The room spins, and bile raises. I'm still fucking drugged.

Frustratedly, I hit my head with my palm; I need to function. The last time I saw Jasmine, her hands were tied, and she ran out of the fight club. My heart is pounding with anguish, picturing her scared after being harmed. Grinding my teeth, I release some of the painful emotion choking me by throwing hard punches to the wall. My knuckles split, but I quench my need to release the anger stirring.

I refuse to remain down and throw my legs off the bed, but my body doesn't comply. Until the drugs fade, I remain weak. Leaning forward, I stumble to reach for the water and spill the glass. Another wave of rage consumes me. I below, "Get me the fuck out of here!"

Seconds seem like long, dragged-out minutes before the door to my room finally opens. My heated eyes snap towards the entrance. Hiking a brow, Raffaele comments, "Impatient?!"

"Stop fucking around and get me out of this fucking bed," I demand.

"Jasmine?" he questions, primarily just to irritate.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I control my anger, "Raffaele...." Cocking a brow, I question, "If that was Mina?"

"You will see her soon enough!" he interjects. Unbuttoning his suit jacket, he drags a chair and takes a seat in front of me. He remains impassively uncaring towards my wife.

Despite what happened that night between Jaz and my family, she remains my wife, and I've never loved any other woman. Emotionally I crumble, "she's said things and did things. I get it, but brother...." I halt, calling him brother makes an impact, and he softens, "Those fuckers touch her, had their hands around her throat, cutting off her air supply. She faded in and out of consciousness." I fight back the tears like a little kid, not wanting to seem weak in front of my brother, "I love her." 

Nodding, he falters his eyes and slides across the overbed hospital table, making it easier for me to reach the water, "She's getting checked out downstairs. Rest easy, brother, no major injuries or foul play."

Closing my eyes, I exhale and slide forward, forcing my bare feet to touch the cold ground. "I want to see her," I affirm.

"She will be up shortly, Stefano, and the kids are safe as well," Leaning forward, he clasps his hands together and leans his elbows to his knees, "Stay seated; I need to speak with you."

I comply. After everything they've done for me, the least I can do is entertain a conversation. Relief washes over me, knowing she is safe and under Morelli's supervision. Meeting his eyes, I settle my breathing. "I can't thank you and Tommy enough," I begin, but my brother dismisses me with a wave of his hand.

"Don't be stupid. We are blood!" He clicks his tongue, making a point. Leaning back, his leg's part, as he makes himself comfortable, "You will return to California and stand as my brother and underboss."

Shaking my head, I'm abrupt, "No!" Fisting my hair does nothing to contain the shooting pain in my chest. They will never understand how difficult walking away is. They don't see that I embraced them as my family, but I'm also a husband and father, not just a brother and son. "I'm split in two," staring at the ceiling, I tug harder on my hair and continue, "my chest constricts, leaving is the hardest shit I've ever fucking done," my throat vibrates as I bellow. "Don't do this to me. You're my family, but I have a wife and kids, and she's not made for any of this Raf." Meeting his eyes, I plead. "Don't ask this of me!"