Chapter 13 - Wedding Preparations

Jasmine

Stefano left with my brother straight after breakfast. I don't know how I feel about Matt training and shooting a gun, my brother isn't violent in that way. Sure, he ended up in a few fistfights, but nothing to this level. Nevertheless, that's what they're doing today.

While the nannies are getting Luciano and Summer dressed, I've taken this as an opportunity, and I find myself sneaking around Matt's room, checking the drawers. I'm relentlessly searching for any signs of drugs. I hate this. I want to trust him, but I can't. Well, not where drugs are concerned anyway. After an hour of rummaging through his things, I found nothing. Relieved, I sit on the bed and run my fingers through my hair as I glance at the photo of Ebony. I'm sad I didn't know her better, and I'm shattered that both Matt and Summer have lost her.

My brother and fiancé are battling some dark pasts. Although different situations, they can relate in some ways. When do things get better? When does my brother find peace, and when will my fiancé see himself the way I see him?

I snort. I keep wanting Stefano to see the man I do. Fearless, strong, and sexy! But I can't see myself through his eyes, and I battle with my subconscious that relays my mother's cruel words. Standing, I walk over to the mirror. As I glance at myself, tears surface. Lifting my top, I trace the larger stretch mark. It's ugly! Brief memories of my pregnancy come to mind, the little kicks and the waves that were evident when he was moving. I smile. The moment Stefano would place a hand on my belly, all movement would stop.

Sucking in a breath, and biting my bottom lip, I turn to the side. My stomach is flat, but I have a plump ass. If only it were a little smaller and just more lifted, it would've been perfect. Shaking my head, I release my breath. I can hear the Capos in my head, "Squats Jaz. Give me fifty." Those boys keep fit and train religiously. After I gave birth, I did a month of training with Matteo and Mariano. They were brutal. Everything hurt. I begged Stefano to end this so-called training that really was an attempt to kill me. I guess I am my worst enemy. I want the tone body, but have no will to do the work.

Hearing the light footsteps running down the stairs, I wipe my teary eyes and place a smile on my lips. One good thing came out of my miserable childhood. I mastered hiding behind a smile. I couldn't fool Asimina or Petro, but everyone else believed I was a happy child. I vow it's a skill my child and Summer will never need. Their smiles will be genuine.

Stepping outside Matt's bedroom, I close the door behind me and stare in horror as the two kids leap down the stairs fearlessly.

"Settle down!" I catch Luciano as he trips. His legs are much shorter, and his attempts to keep up with Summer are a fail.

"The car is waiting for you, Miss. Douglas," Nicole announces.

I sweep my eyes up to meet hers. "Thank you. I will see you tonight." Grabbing my handbag, I toss it over my shoulder and take the kids by the hand. Stefano has arranged for Amir and Jamal to escort me today. I get there are dangers. Not too long ago, there was a gun pointed at my head, but I do miss the days I could just jump in my car and head out.

Tommy's men stand ridged, holding the doors open. Clipping in the two kids, I take a breath and jump into the passenger seat. Amir heads to the secondary car, ready to follow as Jamal roars the engine life. These boys don't say much, they remain focused, observing everything around them. They're well trained and disciplined. The most I've heard them speak was the morning when they were manhandling Katerina.

Although our drive isn't long, I make conversation and bring an end to the silence, "So, do you have a friendship with Tommy, or is it just business?"

I study the man as he blows a breath. Rolling his eyes, he responds, "What difference does it make to you?" he avoiding the question.

I don't falter my stare as I make a smart-ass remark, one that I'm sure will hit a nerve. "Well, if it's just business, then you could easily be sold. My kids and I could be in danger!" His eyes snap to meet mine. He wasn't expecting me to twist it.