Chapter 18 - Defying The Rules

Stefano

Tommy, fuming, punches the door open. He can't get out of here fast enough. Heavy steps carry him to the driver's door as he curses under his breath. I feel content. I've strategically thought about this, and it's the right thing to do, I don't want to underestimate Lim. He's managed to hide from Morelli men and authorities for too long. Smirnov is a new partner, and his connection to us is yet to be made known. I'm confident he can track him successfully. Lim has hovered over my head for the past year. Granted, the information about Ben and Lim's deal regarding my finance has only just surfaced, but even before Matt was found, I wanted the last remaining Yeung dead. Anxiety and fear have consumed me. Every day I'm suffocating. My family's safety is at risk, and I will no longer sit back. What am I waiting for the day he's caught or the day he gets to Jaz and my son?

I'm irritated, disappointed that my brothers don't understand me. I had nothing until one night when a foolish girl was captivated by the sight of me. Jaz had loved me at my lowest when I was just a shadow. I swore I would never let her down. I swore I would do anything for her. My love for that woman is immense. She ignites passion, will and gives me a reason to fight. I never want to see her broken. I won't see her broken.

Reaching the car, I stare at Tommy. With vexation, he clasps his hands together, elbows leaning on top of the vehicle. His jaw twitches and all his features harden. "I take it you're driving!" I slide the keys over to him. I'm waiting for his outburst.

Most of the time, Tommy keeps his cool, and on the job, he's level-headed, slick, and smooth. Raging episodes are sparse, but this is different. No doubt he feels betrayed.

Shaking his head, he demands, "Get in the fucking car, Stefano."

Even though his reaction was expected, it instantly irks me. I refrain and bite my tongue instead. Opening the passenger door, I slide into the seat. I've grown to love my younger brother, and I acknowledge what my actions have started, but I will not apologize.

Tommy slides into the driver's seat. Slamming the door shut, he roars the engine to life, burning the back tires before speeding off. "Tommy..." I begin to say and halt as he punches the steering wheel. "Calm the fuck down!" I bellow, my anger now escalating.

Dodging and swerving through traffic, before abruptly pulling to the side, he kills the engine. Turning to face me, he fumes, "You're no longer fucking alone! What you're now involved in, Stefano, requires calculated steps at all motherfucking times and consultation amongst us." Rubbing his face, he blows a frustrated breath. "Do you have any idea how twisted things could've gone? Huh?"

My brows knit together, and I glare at my younger brother. My flummoxed expression has Tommy nervously laughing. Smirnov isn't a stranger to me. I didn't feel threatened. "Think about this. You and I just had a business meeting that requires our brother to sign off, and we were alone! Massimo is with Raffaele, Jamal with Jasmine, and finally, Amir is guarding Mina and the kids. We had no fucking backup. I was forced to agree under duress, just to ensure we made it out of their alive and you had the balls to threaten a Russian mobster on his territory."

"Smirnov is safe," I argue. Although he holds valid points, I attempt to downplay it.

"Smirnov is safe," he mocks. Narrowing his eyes, he continues to question, "The men standing outside his office, blocking the exit? What about the armed men outside hovering around our car?" His eyes don't falter, "No response?"

I stare back, scanning my memories. I was too focused on closing the deal and didn't observe my surroundings. "Rule number one always be on guard, never get comfortable. How could you be so fucking stupid? We were caged!"

Rigidly turning my head towards my brother, I grit, "Watch your mouth Tommy, or I will have you spitting blood." He holds valid points, but it wasn't a thought. I attended prepared to make a decent offer in return for Smirnov's help. There's wasn't a reason to be on guard or assume the worst.