Chapter 3 - Found And Saved

Jasmine

Sitting in the rocking chair, I almost fall asleep along with Luciano. I love these moments! My baby has finally learned how to walk. His thighs, arms, and cheeks are full. I glance to my right at the picture of him in the incubator, God he was tiny. It's hard to believe he's the same boy! Gently stroking his cheek, I admire him; the more he grows, the more his features show. Luckily for me, he takes some of my characteristics as well as my lips and nose. He's full of personality and a little explorer. I giggle to myself. I find him stuck in a new place every day.

When I first laid eyes on his father, I was struck speechless. The man was gorgeous! My heart skipped a beat when his eyes locked with mine. The dark aura around him intrigued me. I will never forget that first moment. He was wearing a black sleeveless hoodie and jeans. His hair was messy, knuckles were raw, and he suffered from a split lip.

At the time, I had no idea he was homeless. He was clean and held himself up with pride. Those hazel eyes roamed my features and he was temporarily rendered mute. It all started that night. Stefano wasn't nervous, but he was guarded. "What would a girl like you want with a guy like me? What is it that has you approaching a stranger and sparking a conversation?" I didn't know how to answer those questions and the truth wasn't an option. I mean, what was I supposed to say to the man? That the sight of him had me feeling nervous? Excited? That I had this need to press my body against his? That I thought he was incredibly sexy?

The next night, I went back to that same diner, only this time, he came to me. Without a word, he took a seat. I bite my lip at those memories, my heart thundering with my thoughts. He ordered just a coffee. Although we didn't say a word to each other for the first half an hour, it wasn't awkward. His gaze had me shy and excited. This went on for months. He remained guarded and didn't cross any lines.

When I returned to New York with Mina after my trip to California, he attempted to distance himself. I wasn't going to allow it, so I followed him to the underground boxing rings. Stefano warned me on serval occasions to steer clear; he said he didn't want me, that I was a nuisance. His body, however, would scream something different; my slightest touch had his breathing becoming heavier. Taking a leaf out of my best friend's book, I kissed him desperately. The burn of his lips is still a vibrant thought. My body never needed someone more!

I understand it now, but back then, the way he drew away, his clenching jaw and fuming eyes broke my heart. "Go home! This isn't happening! I don't want it! I don't want you!" His words tore me to shreds. I went home that night, devastated! I spent the next couple of nights crying. I was in love with that man.

Running my fingers on Luciano's hair, his mouth hangs open. Not only did I end up with Stefano, but I am also the mother of his child. They are my family, and I have Mina to thank. She stormed out of the house, furious with Stefano. Hours later, she called, explaining what happened and that she was at the hospital, and he was homeless. It all started to make sense. I stayed away and waited. I won't lie, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. We weren't in a relationship, but I had fallen in love with him. I wanted, no, it was more like I needed to be by his side. The first week he was avoiding me, focusing on his recovery. He was still in immense pain from the surgery. I would cook dinner, and Mina would take it to his room. Although I'm not patient, I was for him. I waited until he was ready.

One morning Stefano made coffee and came to sit next to me outside. "You shouldn't want me. I have nothing to offer!" My heart broke a thousand times over. I whispered without glancing at him, "But I do want you, and all I want is you. I don't need anything else!" It was the first time he tenderly touched me; it was the first time he kissed me. I melted and became dependent on him instantly. I didn't care that he had nothing to his name, I wanted to build our lives together. I wipe the traitorous tear running down my cheek; I hate how he talks down about himself. He never feels competent.